Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Dec 2, 2002.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Hey guys, I need your opinion. I am soon going to be buying an American Deluxe Fender jazz bass, but I also love and need that p bass tone for my arsenal. After spending this much money, I am not going to have much left. I was wondering if it is worth buying a MIM p bass and replacing the pickup , tuners, and bridge or if I should just go for the American P bass.

2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Are you going to replace the MIM parts with MIA parts? Or aftermarket parts?

If you get the MIA are you going to leave it alone? Or buy new pickups and bridge too?

I have a MIM and the only thing I want to change on it is the bridge. The tuners are fine, I see no reason for changing them. As far as the pickup, it's a personal decision I guess. :D

Oh yeah I forgot. The MIA is a string thru body, so the bridge won't work on a MIM.

I have a MIM and MIA. The MIM can stand on it's own against the MIA. IMO MIAs are way overpriced.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No way.

Bad money after good, and you'll NEVER get it back out, I guarantee it.

If you want a MIA Precision, get a good used one or look for a deal on a new one (they're out there!). Don't try to make a MIM into something it isn't. It's just bad business. If you buy a MIM, get a good used one and leave it alone, then sell it when you get ready to buy a MIA. That way you won't lose any money. Modding instruments is a good way to lose money on both ends.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're looking for a P-shaped plank of wood to bolt your own pieces of choice onto, get an Essex www.rondomusic.com . The MIMs are good enough as they are they don't need mods.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Are you on commission from Essex?;) :D

6. I like the MIA P. Personally I HATE the Fender Active electronics.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Agreed. Ive got several passive P's, and one active P deluxe, and I cant tolerate the tone from the active P. I love the feel of the Bass, and love the extra 2 frets, but need to find a way to eliminate the Fender electronics.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Just get the MIA p bass...

I have an 95 MIA, and all I ever did was put a Basslines pickup in it... you really can't get over what that bass is, and the sound that goes with it!

P@

9. The bridge won't interchange, because the MIM uses more screws and a different pattern.

If you must have a MIA, then buy a MIA. There is nothing wrong with buying a used bass that isn't beaten or damaged. They are worth about 66% of new-discount (mail order) price, on average.

Get a passive P, not an active one. You can add a Raven active preamp to the P by replacing the pot, if really necessary.

Tweak and experiment on the girl friend... leave the bass alone and just play it.

:D