1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bassers I need your Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Aug 2, 2012.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Can someone give me a measurement off their P Bass? I would like to know the distance from the 20th fret or nut to the middle of the "P" pickup? I am doing a build and want it to be spot on. Thanks in advance.

2. 28 11/16" nut to center.. 77 P

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have a Squier Classic Vibe here in the office and I measure 5 3/8" from 20th fret to middle of pup and 28 5/8" from the nut.

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    You guys are the best! Thanks a lot.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The 1/16th difference could be from the angle of the pup or that I measured from the front of the nut and not the middle.

6. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    One last measurement. From same spot to the outside pole peace of front or rear coil? I am trying to get the proper angle. I am using a split coil J pup in the P bass location and want the outside most points of the pup to be in the P bass locations. I hope that makes since.

7. 1984 Yamaha BB1600 (Sorry, no Fender P at the moment, but the nut to pickup measurements mentioned before is exact on this one as well and sounds like a good P to me!)

From the center of E string nut slot to the center of Outside E string pole piece: 28 1/16"

From the center of G string nut slot to the center of Outside G string pole piece: 29 3/16"

8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Thanks John.