Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bassers, where do you set ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Feb 25, 2003.

1. P-Bassers, where do you set your tone knob? Just wondering. I just re-strung my MIA (maple board)with flats and am liking the tone on about 1/2. It takes out the clackity clackity clack.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Err..... never use it.......
    :eek:

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Both vol and tone all the way up.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The gamut. I find it I roll the tone all the way down I can get a great dub tone, great for woodshedding to Third World. Normally I keep it at 100% or close to that. The tone knob is a really useful tool on a P bass.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Vol/Tone full on baby!!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Full blast...you get more tone that way 'cause it's on 10...right?:D

I have always left it all the way up, and I use round wound strings and cabinets with tweeters...no velvet thunder for this guy...:bassist:

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, my P-bass is one of the active 1980's Specials. It has volume ,treble amd bass pots! The treble and bass pots have a centre detent, which is where they are at max normal. Beyond the detent is boost! It's real nice, and switchable to passive mode too - in which case they're both set to full!:)

8. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Volume 100%..Tone 50%...anymore than that and it sounds real clanky.if thats in fact a word??

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Half the time I roll the treble off completley, as that sounds best since I have rounds on it. Gives it a nice thump. Rest of the time it is at about half way. Never full, because when it is, there is just too much treble in the sound.

10. Arlech

Arlech

Dec 19, 2002
    Volume all the way up, tone at 50 percent. Strung with TI flats.

11. Volume to full, tone to zero. With Rotosound flats. Sometimes i will up the tone, but not often above 50%. I have retro fitted a Jazz pickup in the bridge position and find that for tonal variety i switch between the two pickups (I have a three way selector switch for J/J+P/P) and that gives the tonal variety i need.

12. Volume full on and tone either full on or completely off.

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i always have volume full on, and i change the tone a lot. so many great sounds can be gotten out of a P. for most of the stuff i write, i have the tone either on the whole way, or off completly(that's fingerstyle) with a pick, i like the tone about halfway up. for slap (though for me it's very few and far between) i turn it up the whole way. if i want different tones at different times in a song, i turn it up the whole way, and just move my plucking hand and change playing styles.

14. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Volume and tone all the way up.

I use to roll of the tone when I first got the bass...'til I turned to the old cats, did a lot of listening and asked many questions.

Hundreds of gigs w/ the P bass later,they were right.... it's just the way that it's done.

Whenever you see a live show w/ a P bass and it sounds slammin', ask the player how he sets it...9 time out of 10 it's both full up.

The tone translates very differently live in a mix as opposed to playing unaccompanied in your house. That clackity clack and barking sound is the missing half of a good drummer's kit. Trust me.

15. Volume full speed ahead!!!

Tone is usually 50% or less, I rarely put it higher than that.

16. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    By the way, I'm not saying that you shouldn't experiment or that anyone is 'wrong' here but...

**in the voice of Arnold Schwarzennegger***

"Hear me now and believe me later"

When you hear someone w/ amazing fingerstyle tone on a P whether it's Rocco Prestia, Duck Dunn, or the local guru who's been playing for 40 years ...they're playing w/ both knobs full up.

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Volume and tone all the way up. It's in the Bible. Somewhere in Leviticus. You could look it up.

18. Well, my Mark Hoppus bass doesn'....HAHAHAHAHAHAA...

I set my tone at 50%.