1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-basses all different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Is it just me or is each P-bass a completely unique play? I've owned 3 and I've loved them all but they all felt different. My fave is my 08 American Standard and even when I play others off the racks - same everything - they are different. I know each bass is different. I get that. But I can pick up 5 Geddy Lee Jazz's and they are essentially the same. Mine feels just like the ones at Guitar Center. But I haven't found a P-bass like mine.

This is why Ive never kept a guitar I've bought online.

Why do I feel like I'm gonna get flamed here? :)

2. I would say there are slight variations involving setup,(Neck Relief and String Action are huge variables) strings, age and cut of wood, that might make the same model bass seem slightly different.

3. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    I completely agree
    I just got a P bass wit a J pick up and I love it to death. And then I was at my cousin's for practice, at I didn't bring my bass, so I used his regular P bass, and it was so interesting because not only were the tones different (which would be obvious because the lack of a J pick up) but just the feel and everything, it felt much more "generic" if that makes any sense
    But hey, a P is a P, I love it no matter what.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    No flame, but this has been addressed many times. A piece of plastic plopped out of a machine will be the same every time. Something made of wood won't.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    What reedo35 said....

Newer or older strings, different brand/gauge, different string height/ neck relief, etc= different feel, even if the measured "specs" on the instruments are dead-nuts the same.

And, of course, try to find two identical pieces of wood from two (or more) different trees. Not possible.

6. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Well, this bodes well, because I positively abhor my friend's P-bass. It sounds terrible, feels terrible, and looks terrible (subjectivity).

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Passive electronics and single pickup setup of a straight P bass may mask less of the variations than an active, or even 2 pickup, bass.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I dunno. I have four Precisions, and they are all really different. The necks feel different (closest between the Classic '50s and the '51 RI; furthest between the '51 and the Warmoth-necked fretless), the pickups sound different (closest between the QP-equipped Classic 50s and the AV 57, furthest between the '51 and the fretless), and they are different beasts entirely. I imagine that, if ever I buy the AV 62 or the passive V, they will be different too.

Love 'em all.:D