Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Basses and Eden Rigs (Especially D215XLT's)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jul 1, 2005.

1. I'm thinkin a Fender P-Bass would be the best thing for my band, and seeing as I love the Eden D215XLT, I was wondering how they would mesh together. Has anyone used a Precision + D215XLT rig? If so, with what head, and how was it?

I would also like to see how a P-Bass goes with Eden in general, so if you've tried a P with a Eden rig of any type, post what the rig was, and how it sounded!

:bassist:

Thanks a lot.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I've used P's with Eden Metros, and also with SVT's on top of Eden 210XLT cabs. Not as old school sounding as with all Ampeg setup, but I found it works very well. I also used P's with a combination of 210XLT and 15XLT cabs. I prefer the tighter 10's rather than the 15's. Depends on what style you're playing and what sound you want to get. I would think the 15XLT would get you huge bottom, but not so much mids.

When I ran the 210XLT's, I got compliments from soundmen when I used a Precision with rounds. One thing I noted was that when I used 2 of the XLT cabs, I got a little more undefined bottom than I liked. Overall I much prefer the Ampeg 8x10 cab. If the 15XLT has extended lows like the 210XLT does, then you may have more lows than you'll ever need. My choice tho is for a tighter note, thus my preference for 10's, and the AMpeg 8x10 give me plenty of lows for my uses.

The Precision is a mid machine, so it should work in most amp/cab combinations very well particularly with a loud band.

3. Hi FM'89, I use a '65p strung w/roto swing 66's. (Roundwounds) A Mesa 400+ & Eden 410XST. I usually have the controls set at Bass 1-2, Mids 10 & Treb 2-3 with tweet @ 9 o'clock. This is pretty darn flat for this amp and the sound is thumpy, punchy & sparkly clear. The XST is NOT an XLT 410. I don't really care for the 'LT version.
    This is not a small venue rig. For those I prefer my MM 130 w/JBL 15". It gets phat quicker. The Eden needs some heat before it really sings.

Hope some of this helps.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It'll be love at first note. I used a 1x15XLT + 210XLT with my P bass and it was about as good as it gets :D

5. May I ask why you switched to Aguilar gear?

Thanks a lot guys, keep 'em comin...

6. dude a p with 2x15's would sound thick and heavy as hell.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It depends a lot on which head you are planning on getting too...

8. I'll be using a Sansamp RBI/QSC PLX1202 rack setup (which I already have) and if that doesn't really do it for me, I'll save to make the switch to an Ampeg SVP-CL, and if all else fails, I'll break down and get a Eden Navigator after a while.

Oh, and I'm gonna keep my eye out for a cheap Ampeg V4BH for some tube feel.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Have you considered trying a RIC through this cab? Using a P-bass, you can use a cab loaded with 10's, get great low end, and also the tight punchiness that the 10's would provide. My first thought when I heard 2X15's in an Eden cab was a RIC, since the RIC itself is so punchy, but it does lack that P-bass low end. I'd sure like to know what a RIC would sound like with that cab - I think it would sound incredible.

Skel

10. I play a Ric through a CA9 and a 215XLT and anything above 4 on the bass knob (Alembic preamp) rattles the nails out of the practice room. They're fantastic cabs. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

11. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I give the P / XLT combo the thumbs up but not the P / Eden head combo. It's too thick for my tase.

12. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Have you considered a Bergantino NV215 cabinet? It's a 4 Ohm, 600 watt with 2 x 15" & a 6" midrange. I have one, and, IMHO, it is superior to the Eden... but not by much! You see, I also have an Eden D410XLT, and that sucker sounds great... in its own way. I have an Ashdown ABM500 Evo-II, but I can only use one of the cabinets, as 4 Ohm is the max this amp will take. However, I also have a Marshall VBA400, all-tube (8-6550 power tubes) bass head, and I use both cabs at 2 Ohms when playing with that beast.

As far as the other part of your question, I don't have a P-bass. I have a Stu Hamm Urge-II, which does have a Precision pick-up set between two Jazz pick-ups. When me and my bandmates are playing some old 60's & 70's tunes, I tend to use the P-pick-up a lot. I'll use that one on the Stevie Ray songs we cover, too. Really sounds fat and full... especially through the Berg NV215...

But all things being equal, you would do just fine with the Eden 2 x 15"... I tried that sucker out, too, and it definitely rocks the boat! :bassist:

Aloha... :cool:

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I sold off the Eden rig when I moved to hawaii, and when I came back I found a good deal on a local GS410, thats all there is to it. I like the XLT edens and GS Aguilars equally, though they do sound different. You can't go wrong either way. The aggies are a little flatter and have a little more "sheen", while the edens have more punch and fatness, and sit perhaps even better in the mix.

Actually, truth be told, my favorite cab to run with a P-bass is an SWR Goliath II with an Ampeg pre/power setup. Perfect balance.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    An Eden rig can make anything sound good ... except P-basses ... and 15-inch speakers.

15. I have used a '78 P through a GK 1001 into a Eden 215 and it was pretty big when you gave it the gas.....fairly clear but not as punchy as 10's or even 12's....I have found that I prefer 12's typically but I still have a couple cabs with 15"s in em.....I would probably second the Bergantino suggestion or even try the Bergie 6-10....it would give you a sweet old school sound with that P and though it likes the juice does not have to be pushed as hard as the Eden.....(IMO)

Peace,

T

16. So you hate 15"s and P-Basses?

Explain Munji!

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have that rig. A Franken P that I play through an Eden WT800, D210XLT and a D215XLT and let me tell you, WOW. The P has EMG's with a BTC control. It is meaty, and throaty. I us this setup mainly for our covers (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc.). I can post sound clips recorded with a AKG D112, it's WOW.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, I don't hate them. C'mon, they're inanimate objects. If it doesn't have visceral guts, it's not worth hating. But the P-bass is pretty much a one-trick pony, and 15s are tone-sucking muff monsters. Otherwise, they're fine.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, I don't hate them. C'mon, they're inanimate objects. If it doesn't have visceral guts, it's not worth hating. But the P-bass is pretty much a one-trick pony, and 15s are tone-sucking muff monsters. Otherwise, they're fine.

Of course, the sound is completely in your hands and nothing else, so the equipment is irrelevant.