Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-basses ARENT made for slapping ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMFender, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    i got a p bass.a japanese squier.
    i cant use pop technique with it.
    the strings are too close to the body.
    is it the usual way with p basses ?
    the body has also empty parts and my fingers make a noise when i do-pop

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You should be able to slap a precision fine. Assuming that's what you mean.

If you're finding the strings are too close to the body there are three possibilities:

1. Your bass is badly needing set up (I mean badly).
    2. You have enormous fingers.
    3. Your technique is poor and you need more practice.

I'd guess that number 3 was the most likely.

No idea what you're talking about with the empty parts and your fingers making a noise when you "do-pop" (what is that?)

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Sounds like a horrible setup. The bridge saddles are most likely way too low in an attemp to lower the action. With a setup like that, every time you slap your finger nails or even your knuckles are going to hit the pickguard. Just take it to a shop and have them do a good setup on it, it should make a big difference.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There's nothing wrong with the bass, that's just the way they are.

The strings on my MIJ Squire P are close to the body. Myself and quite a few other people think that makes it easier to slap.

If you have a Flea style where you go kind of in and out you need room to get under the string. If you slap by kind of rolling your wrist and going across the strings, close to the body is a big help.

You could probably shim the neck and jack the bridge up to get the strings farther away from the body.

5. I've got a P, and I slap on it a lot. I'm not that good at slap, but it sounds MASSIVE, not thin like on a lot of other basses.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    +1 :bassist:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The reason that it feels like the strings are too close to the body is because of the pickguard. It reduces the space between the body and the strings a couple of millimeters.

Practice and technique can overcome this. I prefer a bass with the strings closer to the body for slapping. It encourages me to use a lighter touch, which increases speed and control of dynamics.

It sounds as if the 'hollow parts' thing that you are talking about is also related to technique. If your bass has a large cavity routed under the pickguard, it will make a sound when your fingers hit the pickguard.

Practice. It will help you with both of these issues.:)

Those japanese Squiers are highly regarded basses. Most consider them better than the USA Fenders from the same time period.

8. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    :) thanks for many informative replies.
    i simply LUV talkbass ppl.i mean you :) :bassist:

yes the body has a cavity under the pickguard.
    i also got a marcus miller jazz bass.
    i got used to its light playability feeling.

tomorrow i may sell my p bass to save money for a second jazz bass.
    but honestly i luv the sound of the p bass.
    but J basses seem more comfortable as string closeness.
    i am confused.
    the P bass is black and i may spend money to change its colour to sunburst (vintage look) and adopt the neck to my playing.
    do u think it is worth ?

9. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    You could probably shim the neck and jack the bridge up to get the strings farther away from the body.[/QUOTE]

would this damage the original sound ?
    as the pick up will be far ...
    what means shim and jack ?

10. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    p basses are fine for slapping... i slap everyday with mine... hard... so yah, its something to do with that bass, i have a squier p bass, works fine with me

PBM

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Doing a refinish on the Pbass would be an awful lot of money. Is it a USA one? You could sell it, and then buy a better version, only in sunburt.

Take it to a tech at a music store and get him to check him out. In the end, it may just be poor technique. I slap on a P (with a j in the bridge) that has crazy low action and a cavity under the bridge and never hit the pickguard.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is the great advice!

to me, when the strings are close the the body/pickguard - it's almost like a "playing ramp" for slappers! :D