1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-basses with a Marcus Miller-style pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepestend, Dec 12, 2017.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Does anyone know if any P-style basses with a marcus miller style pickguard?

I have a homemade P/soap that I'm adding a 3 band nordstrand preamp to. I just routed out the cavity and cut a larger marcus-style pickguard that will fit it... just not sure how to do the knobs--6 of them, though one could be stacked. Any ideas?

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    thisSNsucks and deepestend like this.
  3. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    download.

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I realize that it’s highly illegal that i didn’t post pix! Will do tomorrow.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Thanks for the shout out. Yeah I use that pickguard style for my precision style builds. I cut the guard through the pickup though like a Roscoe beck only because a full p-bass guard with the miller style area is a lot of plastic.

If you’re going with 6 knobs I’d do 3 or 4 curved along the bottom bout like a normal p and then the remainder straight above those.

My avatar has my first build with 4 knobs, kind of a Ric layout

Post some pics!

6. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    The Marcus Miller pickguard is only the shape it is because of the work done to the bass and the era in which the work was done. You could spoon a lot more electronics into a Jazz bass these days with far less visual impact. Marcus' bass has a Stars Guitars preamp fitted which, today, would be a tiny wee thing hanging off the back of a single pot.

Working from (presumably) the same remit as Roger Sadowsky did with Marcus' bass, it might be best to see how much space you can sneak out from under a conventional pickguard, then work out how and where you want to map out the knobs for the preamp.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Here’s the progress. Original, then rough new, then final new with knobs places on top.

45079DE8-FE48-4579-B1AE-00F5D9544AD6.

046A4E61-6D70-47F6-A008-E299DF89E530. EE20BE30-D063-4057-8093-E592F4CB1249.

Axstar and thisSNsucks like this.
  8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003

All good advice.

I have done complex jobs all on a jazz plate before but i really find that i like a little more space to work with. Makes for an easier build and easier repairs.

Axstar likes this.