1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Basses with block inlays: are there options other than the new Fender '70s P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EpicSoundtracks, Jan 12, 2012.

1. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    Hey, y'all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one of those new '70s Precision reissues. But before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys if you know of any other P basses with block inlays out there. I'm especially interested in Japanese P's -- I have a Tokai Hard Puncher that I absolutely love.

I also need a replacement neck for my MIJ Fender PB57. I can get a maple Warmoth with black blocks for $290 -- is that my best bet, or are there other options out there I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

2. Find a used Duck Dunn Lakland. :)

3. SX make one for like, $160. But IDK if you're into those basses.

4. The 70's P is the only current Fender Precision with a blocked neck. As already mentioned, the Lakland Dunn/44-64 Custom also has blocks.

I can't think of any other off the top of my head.

5. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    oh man, that Lakland is gorgeous! I need a wider neck, though -- 1.75" or bigger. J necks just don't work for me. :(

thanks for the input, folks!

6. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    I have always wanted a P bass with rosewood fretboard and white binding whit pearloid inlays (and of course, P nut width). Still waiting...

7. I guess the 70's P is the only stock, all-in-one option. Allparts, USACG and Warmoth could furnish you with the neck you want, though.

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yep. Allparts necks are great! And they have Rosewood/Pearloid blocks and Maple/Black blocks. And a fair bit less expensive than a Warmoth neck. I took the Warmoth neck off my P, sold it, and put on this Allparts:

IMG_1350.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Frankenstein!

5s%20004.

10. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Stu, that's hot fire! Looking up AllParts necks now...

11. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  12. Last I checked the Allparts blocked and bound necks were J necks.

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    If you like the P but prefer the block fret markers, here's an inexpensive mod:

Results for Fret Markers:For BASS

My go-to bass (Fbass BN5) only has the side dots, but I can jump to an upper-register fill more accurately with fingerboard markers, as well. So I bought a set of the dot inlay stickers (on a different page) from this guy.

Easy to put on; just be careful about positioning them. They've held up just fine.

14. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you can get a Nordstrand or Valenti P with blocks for a price, of course.

15. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
  16. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    pps. I got my neck, brand new, on eBay for a lot less than what Allparts.com sells them for.

17. I believe it may be that you will only find aftermarket necks with blocks to be J size necks. Or at least hard to find at a reasonable cost. Just about the only alternative would be stickers if you want a P-bass sized neck. (Not as cheesy as it might sound)

18. True. USACG and Warmoth will build a blocked P bass neck, but like you mentioned, it can get pricey. A Warmoth maple/maple P neck with blocks will run about $270...and that's unfinished and without a nut installed.

19. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Yup, $290 with stainless frets is what I'm looking at. Already have a nut, and prefer to finish it myself, so no problems there.

Also, I pulled the trigger on the 3TS '70s P this morning. I hope the "vintage style" fret wire is a little taller/wider than the microscopic stuff on my MIJ '57 reissue!