Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P. Diddy: Making of the Band, Part II

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I accidentally surfed onto two back-to-back episodes of MTV's "P. Diddy: Making of the Band, Part II". It was so fascinating that I couldn't turn away.

P. Diddy comes over as intense, hyperactive, hyperverbal, frenetic and extremely perfectionistic task master...no wonder he is an unquestionable success.

He set high standards both for the contestants and for the MTV staff, whom he believed were not finding genuinely marketable talents. What was especially fascinating were what I call "P. Diddyisms"--his philosophy of success and what it takes to make it big in the entertainment industry. His tirelessness and demanding objectives demonstrate how he lives his own P. Diddyisms to the fullest. He walks his talk---no question about it.

Anyone who wants to get an inside look at what P.Diddy says is needed to reach the top in music should watch this show. I felt after two episodes that this show is much more "real" than American Idol. These contestants will not be coddled. "Making the Band, Part II" actually has much in common with the WWF's "MTV Tough Enough," a reality series about pro -wrestling hopefuls.

P. Diddy expects absolute dedication, loyalty, and sweat equity from participants. He will not tolerate defiance, lack of gratitude or egos. One example: A strong contestant was booted from the final selection because she was hungry and wanted to leave the audition site to grab some food. That really sparked Diddy's ire. He crossed her off the list the minute he heard about her request.

This show offers a no holds barred look at Diddy and the rap music industry. It is far more realistic and revealing than the first "Making the Band" that spawned the boy band O-Town (who have just released their second album.) I'm hooked after just two episodes.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shoot, Jason, I thought you loved music :confused:

3. Boplicity

:D :D :D :D

I do love music and really do not like most rap. What fascinates me about this show is the close up and personal look at P. Diddy and what he believes is required to become a star in a hugely competitive industry.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's too bad P-Diddy doesn't hold himself to the same standards as he holds everyone else to. IMO, he has no more talent than those wannabe's that MTV has dug up for him to "judge". What a joke.

5. Totally, talk about hypocrisy.

Oh well, I can't really blame him. I'd probably do the same thing if I had lots and lots of money and a bunch of naive, starry eyed 20-somethings came asking for my help.

Such is the world.

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    A good work ethic and high professional standards are all fine and good, but just because you can make money is music doesn't mean you are a talented musician.

P. Diddy lesson # 1
    No musical ability, just rip off Sting and Jimmy Page.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know you really do have your heart in it, Jason. And I have always admired the way you have always remained very open-minded towards new music.

To me, Sean Combs simply isn't "about music" at all. He was a typical cut-throat A&R guy who made some connections and money and has made a living off of appealing to the LCD and other G.E.D.-challenged morons and fashion-chasers.

They make it sound like his Bad Boy Records was some kind of bold venture, when he and the label are nothing more than another "house boy" of the giant Bertelsman Group that manipulates popular culture these days.

I think what a positive influence he could be to youth like the kids in such a place as Liberty City, (which I'm sure you know of). Yet, the videos of his genre consistently depict one's value in life as designer clothing, jewelry, "homies" riding in expensive cars with a scowl on your face, and scantily clad "bitches."

There's no "music" going on. Even the traditionally sycophantic VH-1 reviewed his trash saying -

"Puff Daddy has established a style that entails lifting the music from a previously recorded song (sampling), and replacing the lyrics with his Cristal-drenched words of prose, while pumping up the bass. Artistic integrity aside, he just wants to make you dance, which you'll do, as long as you don't have any hang-ups about originality."

But he is a master at hiring the right lawyers to get him out of the murders, weapons charges, et al, that have tossed him into the courtroom.

Perhaps, Hunter S. Thompson wrote his book Generation of Swine too soon.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i thought i told ya that he won't stop.

9. Boplicity

I have considered as an afterthought, what if Eminem or Queen Latifa had shown up for the auditions? Diddy would have sent them packing. He told one heavy girl who could rap rather well that he'd take her as a finalist but she had to lose weight or be booted. So much for Queen Latifa. He would have sent Run DMC packing also, I bet.

And Missy Elliot? I find her rapping totally without expression or feeling, yet she is a success. Diddy would have sent her packing, too. But somehow she has made it and, yes, without his help. What about Jennifer Lopez...if she had shown up to the auditions? I wonder if he would have chosen her.

And I must be getting senile, folks. I FORGOT about P.Diddy'd run ins with the law! I wonder what P. Diddyisms he has about that.

10. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    bassbrobrad: "i thought i told ya that he won't stop. "

"I don't write rhymes, I write checks"

Biotch:p

11. ...how else would it ever get airplay:confused: