Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P for Geezers sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    What p style pickup would you suggest to best replecate geezer butlers sound?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think this has been done before, and I think the consensus was something 'hot'... maybe an overwound Fralin?? Personally, I think a stock pickup and an overdriven guitar-amp...

-robert

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I swear to God this pickup replicates his early P-bass sound (I own it):
    [​IMG]

Not as expensive as a fralin, either.

4. joshwilson3

joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    Would that be for Black Sabbath and Paranoid albums?

Any other suggestions? What abou the Fralin or Bartolini?

thanks

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    those fender P-bass, and play close to or on the neck.

6. joshwilson3

joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    What about the Dimarzio P pickups?

I would like something with some output.

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    This is correct. If you have a two pick-up bass, use the neck pick-up.

On the amp, crank your "bass" to "11". Scoop the mids, and set the "treble" moderatley high.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    one question, if the mids are what make the bass cut though the mix, and geezer butler cuts through very nicely, why would i scoop the mids?

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    having an older tube amp would help alot to get his tone.
    it really doesn't matter that much 'which' pickups you use, just a good over-driven p-bass tone should do. play a bit up on your fretboard, keep the mids around the lower freqs, and get a tube amp and push the heck out of it.

10. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I have the Dimarzio Split P's in my Ibanez Blazer. They have a nice growl to them with a clearer upper range. You might want to give those a look too.

Matt

11. Geezers sound can be duplicated using a Bass Wah pedal which is opened up about a 1/4 of the way then left alone and then you play low with your fingers towards the neck jointand for some runs even right on the fret board (which I seen him do in video) . you will hear it and can adjust the wah accordingly to get the exact sound..

I covered many sabbath tunes and this is exact so borrow a wah or try one at a music store and give it a try..

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Trust me, that Fender pickup has plenty of output.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have the DiMarzio Model P, and it has huge output. The emphasis there is on cut. It's definitely a P-bass tone, but NOT vintage. (See my reviews in the long P-bass pickup thread.) For early Sabbath, I'd want something with more vintage warmth -- maybe an overwound Fralin or Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass.

To some degree this is hair-splitting, because the DiMarzio's aggressive presence is generally great for hard rock, and would thus work for Sabbath. In fact, I'm using it on some Sabbath-like material now, and it works fine, especially playing up by the neck as others have suggested. But if you're intent on nailing Geezer's tone exactly, look elsewhere.