Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J 5 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Apr 21, 2004.

1. I know that Mike Lull and Sadowsky offer a PJ 5 string bass, who else out there is making these.

2. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I played this one when I was at Sadowsky's shop last week. His instruments are beautiful, for sure, but I still had a hard time getting some bite out of it. That may be attributable to the fact that it's an alder body, but I really think a mid boost/cut control would help. I may end up with one like this later in the year.

[​IMG]

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ooh munji, I played that one too. That's a slick bass with ALOT of lows.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin SD5. Or Freeway 5.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Pedulla MVP and Buzz come that way, and I think you can also get other models with that setup.

At the other end of the spectrum, I think there are some Ibanez models.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Benavente.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Yea, Benavente offer's a 5 string P style pickup in the New Benavente pickups. Use to use a soapbar style with a P setup in it but with the New Benavente Pickups we have a P. You can get the PJ setup in any of the Benavente Model's. Also the LowEnd Jazz basses can be setup with a PJ as well.

Benavente Pic Gallery

LowEnd Jazz Info

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, not really made for bite, but does have the sweet and lowdown.

and sweet looking 5'er, hippie! love that finish.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I give a vote for a Maple/Swamp Ash Sadowsky PJ 5.

11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Yes... Hippies bass is in Teal Green....

12. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Oh that is SWEET! Where do I find information on the Celinder basses? Or better yet, where do I buy one???

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Call John at BassAlone, he has a few in I think.

14. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks Brian. I'll check into them.
    Does Celinder have a www site where I can see specs, and different models?
    How does a Celinder compare to a Mike Lull M5V?

15. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    The Celinder site is http://www.celinder.com but has been down for about a week - I am assuming it is being overhauled (well I hope so anyways :eek: ).

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

I think they are very similar other then pickup's and preamps. Both do solid maple neck and a Jazz style body. I haven't had a Celinder in yet, but I've got one being traded in for the LowEnd jazz bass which features a 3 pc neck which is one of the big things that sets it apart from all the rest. I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the sadowsky, Lull, etc. other then normal construction they all use.

Killer looking Bass Hippie!!

17. Peter Lufrano

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, I tried that site but it didn't come up (darn it!)........

18. thanks for all the info guys, it looks like a lot more people are jumping on the PJ5 bandwagon these days, which is nice to see. I last looked into this about a year or so ago and there were not too many out there.

it is good to know that Benavente is offering a PJ pickup option too, a vintage vortex PJ5 would be killer. those Low End basses look real nice too, the 3 peice neck is a good build feature and I'm a sucker for the classic look.

I don't have the funds right now but when I get enough it looks like I will have a lot of sweet stuff to chose from. those are the fun "tough" decisions to make.

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've owned Sadowskys, Laklands and Lulls... I love my Celinders.. There solid, play and sound great.. They're hand built basses with passive pickups with two volumes, a bass boost/cut and tone control...
    They're also a 35" scale and have a great B-string... I've owned and played alot of other basses which I loved, but these just work best for me...
    I believe the BassExchange and Austin Bass Traders are awaiting Celinders to be delivered.. I also believe Bass Alone has a few 4's in.. I myself am selling a Vintage 5, it's in the for sale section here at TalkBass... I also have two others I'm keeping... They're very nice basses, hard to find and believe me you don't want to order one..
    Yes the site is being re-done, you can try e-mailing Chris.. You can try (chris_celinder@yahoo.com) or (ccelinder@yahoo.com) or his phone number 011 45 40507720... In Denmark there about 7 hours ahead of me and I'm at EST