P/J and a preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ny_chan, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Am thinking of changing out both the pups and preamps off my Yamaha 370a.
    What would be cheap and good?
  2. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i dont believe in spending money on a relatively cheap bass. u dont get too much bang for the bucks that way.

if u have a Fender or a mid-range bass, it could be mighty helpful for you!
  3. +1 I agree, with cheap instruments you should really not spend too much money...but there ARE things that you can do...

I am more than satisfied with the sound of my cheapo Yammy RBX170A...in terms of money I have in her...about $20 in chrom knobs (can put the originals back if I care to sell)...shielding in the control cavity (<$1) aluminium foil and cloth carpet tape are inexpensive...but do a good job...(i have a thread about it somewhere)...$10 for a push-pull pot to do a series mod...gives it a nice fuller, rounder dimension...

I am more than satisfied with the stock pickups...i imagine these are the same pups as are on the RBX370...except I imagine the RBX has a cheapo preamp on it.

and if you're looking to do ANYTHING...get yourself a quality OUTBOARD preamp to stick on your strap...like a Sadowsky...then wire your stock pickups passive...then use a small patch cable from your bass to the pre and a regular cable to the amp...and please shield that cavity...copper foil is the best choice...

I also built a $10 gain only preamp for my bass(es)...its an outboard that I've velcroed to one of my straps...I use it primarily to drive the cable and get a little better signal to the amp...(GREAT for slapping)...
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Lot's of good PJ sets out there that would be a huge upgrade to your Yammy. If you can solder. Grab the set that sounds like it most closely matches your taste and yank it out when you sell the bass.

In a house with some pretty expensive guitars lying about, the 6 string plank I pick up most often is the cheapest thing I own, An 80's Fernandes Tele - but. I replaced the pickups with Lawrences and damn if that isn't just a great playing / sounding guitar.

My fretless J is a mutt. USACG body (well, that's not really mutt-like), MIM lined neck with the original hardware, a BA II bridge and Duncan SJB1's. Sounds killer, plays great and by far the least money I have in a bass in the house. Pickups can make a huge difference and if you can do the swap yourself it opens up a pretty inexpensive way of dialing in your tone. You can always move them to another host.