P/J Bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Im needing, well, ok, not needing, wanting a new bass

I really like the sound of and active P/J bass, but dont know where to look for them, any names/models i should check out ?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I also love the P/J configuration, but generally I don't like active. Still, I've tried a couple and know about some others, which might point you in a fruitful direction.

The only inexpensive model I've tried and liked is the Fender Deluxe Zone bass, which is active. I was surprised how good it sounded, and with a Jazz neck it plays well too. To me, it seemed vastly superior to the Ibanez models in the same price range ($500-$600). If that's your range, I would give this a close look.

Fender has added a preamp to the Deluxe Precision bass for 2005, which is P/J and has a noiseless J pickup. I haven't tried one of these, but I wasn't impressed with the passive version. Worth a look though, and similar price range as the Deluxe Zone. Also has a Jazz neck.

Moving up the scale, the American Deluxe Precision isn't a true P/J because the bridge pup is a humbucker, but it's a "double J" type that sounds somewhat like a Jazz pickup. I had one of these, and it was fantastic in many respects, but I prefer passive so I sold it and bought an American Series P. If you're interested, go for the newer version with the 18v pre. I bet it makes a huge difference; I had the 9v version and thought it lacked a little punch.

Of course Sadowsky makes a P/J bass too with his renowned preamp. I bet I could deal with active in that case!

Another possibility would be Spector, which makes some reasonably priced versions of the NS4 (I think made in the Czech Republic). Spector certainly has a long tradition in this area. I believe they use EMG pickups.

If I think of any others, I'll add to the list.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    The second Fender I mentioned I think is called the Deluxe P-Bass Special. I'd check out the Deluxe Zone Bass first though.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Go forth my child, and bask in the glory that is discontinued goodness. Top of the line construction, hardware, pickups, and they're passive which means you can upgrade to whichever active preamp you decide with the money you'd save.

...plus, you get to keep that Ibanez tradition intact. :D
  5. cheers guys, ill try and try out the fender delux zone and the ibanez one out, nothing wrong with my ibanez collection :p

I think if i got the ibanez one id have to modify it tho, the pick guard looks hideous imo, and i dont like the neck n headstock at all

. . . im too damned picky with pretty guitars :(
  6. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    The P/J spector is amazing, though it is about $1300. I believe it's only available in a neck through. The bolt on euro has the soap bars.