1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J Bass love?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Are there any groups here on TB for P/J Bass lovers? I used to be ALL about J Basses and only J Basses until I realized how awesome a nice P/J sounds 0143412300_gtr_frt_001_rr-1. (or can sound). Any P/J Bass love out there?

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Interesting, I was all about Ps.
    SB-2 4.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have one and I'm putting together a Super PJ.

Arun Nagar and madjazzbass like this.
  4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    P/J is my favorite. Nothing better IMO.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I used to have one and loved it. Only bass I regret getting rid of. Would buy it back in a heartbeat if I could find it.

I'm planning a Warmoth build though, it'll be a P/J or a P/MM. I can't decide.

Arun Nagar and madjazzbass like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    PJ's are almost all I play these days. Once in a while I trot out something different, but 9x out of 10 I play a PJ. With Geezers!

My main one, made by Hammersmith:

Jimmy-Hammersmith-sm_zpsu9qdapjy.

This one is pretty cool too, but it's not black/black/maple (the Precision next to it rocks well, too):

PBassesFull4-2014_zps111f27df.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  7. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I like the basics of a P/J but I feel that I'd like a reverse P/MM fiver more.

Too bad I can't ever find one for an affordable price.

I want to steal that, it looks so great.

MarkoYYZ and JimmyM like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's at a fairly affordable price, too! Hammersmiths start at $995.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  9. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    Plus import costs that would put me at a price I can't afford currently. Especially since I recently spent my money on an acoustic six string (not bass) :D

But I'd be better off with Sandberg or Maruszczyk which are more local. They're just across the border anyway. But thanks for the suggestion. It is a lovely looking bass.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The best thing that anyone can do to a P bass is add a J pickup. Yes, heresy - but I've done it several times and not once regretted it.

11. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

I've got a fender MIJ Classic 70s P that I've been seriously considering modding to a PJ so I can swap in a geezer set. Not sure about the expense of it though.

Attached Files:

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IMO: the pj setup is pretty versatile. of all the 'types', and pickup options, i've come to rely on that configuration.

i still like my jazz, but the pj is what i play out.

13. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The first bass I purchased with my money was a PJ so I've always had an affection for them. They were popular in the 80s but started getting replaced by soapbars in the 90s. Recently everyone is into 70s retro everything and getting purist about Ps and Js. The biggest problem I've had is finding a PJ with a bridge that actually works as well as a jazz bridge when soloed. I don't know what it is, but they always sound more nasally than a standard J. That maybe due to construction or something.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  14. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I'm the opposite.
    Everytime I've had a PJ I ended up never using the J Pickup.

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    PJ Club

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    My experience has been the same. I've always found the blend of the P&J pickups to be underwhelming, and the sound of the single J alone to be weak and nasally.

I'm in the process of putting together a P/dual jazz with series/parallel and coil tap options to see if I can't get more useful tones out of that combination. If not, I'll just do a P/MM... I've played that in the past, in the form of the Sandberg VM4 and remember enjoying it.

FishDub and shawshank72 like this.
  17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I still think this one is totally sweet and I don't even care for black finishes!

MarkoYYZ and JimmyM like this.
  18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I have been curious and fickle (expensive combination) in my bass ownership in the past until I bought a jazz bass with p/j pickups from Dingwall in '09. It is the one I have played the longest and in the event of financial hardship, the last one I would sell.

YcQQtqB.
    Growl? Like a momma bear who's cubs are being threatened!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    starKee, GregC, Nedmundo and 7 others like this.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I really like my PJ with SD Quarter Pounders! That bass has some serious balls.
    Need to get it setup, the action is a mile high right now...

20. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    PJs are fantastic. I mostly go 100% P pickup but the blended tone is definitely useful in some situations. Tough to get a P and J to work well together, I think I went through 20+ sets of pickups before I found the right ones.