1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J bass Origins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 11, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    When/what year did the first P/J Bass come out? and, Was it a Fender? Why? I'm just curious to know, that's all:woot:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It didn't come out as far as I know. Some bass player somewhere at some point installed a jazz pickup at the bridge on his own. Tony Franklin mentions doing it to his fretless P I think in the 70s. As far as when Fender actually made a stock PJ? Maybe in the 90s.

Actually there are the mij jazz bass specials that were made in the 80s. Although fender Japan was always more innovative. I don't know when US Fender made one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  3. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hmmm, I think I recall back in the mid-eighties when I worked in Manhattan and used to visit 48th Street regularly, I remember seeing Spectors and Guild Basses with the PJ ? Setup/ configuration

4. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    There were a variety of MIJ P/Js by the mid eighties, but my sense was that they were copying from others at that point. I have some recollection that Yamaha was an early adopter

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    First Fender PJ configurations date from early 80s.

A bunch of other manufacturers was already doing it in the 70s. Ibanez was one of them.

I'd love to know who was the first player to add the pickup, though. I really would.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I had to be someone that LOVED Jamerson AND Jaco :woot::laugh:;)

ajkula66 likes this.