1. Registering a free account will remove most ads, the sidebar, and allow full reading access.

P/J bass, vintage P-pickup, hot J-pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arlaman, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Arlaman

Arlaman Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Hi,
    I am going to put together a part's PJ bass and need input on what pickups to select. I am a huge fan of the 'classic' p-bass sound, and prefer it a bit overdriven. Therefore I am into a somewhat vintage sounding P-bass pickup, as Fralin's, Nordstrand's, Antiquity's etc. I've read a lot about those pickups on these forums.

Currently I am mostly into the Fralin for the P-pickup as they seem to be a bit hotter than the vintage alternatives. As for the J pickup I am not sure. I am actually considering the Duncan STKJ2B since I'd mostly use that pickup mainly when playing hard rock / metal. When playing other kinds of music, I'll just use the bass as a P-bass. When I need classic J-bass sound, I use my J bass.

Most likely I'll have a volume knob for each pickup and a single tone control, plus a 2-way switch for parallel/serial. Now, my question is, will I get problems having two different kinds of pickups, where one is hotter than the other? Or should I go for e.g. Fralin's on both the J and the P pickup?

2. luknfur

luknfur Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

with the same exact pups a neck pup is going to be about 3 times as loud as a bridge pup by virtue of it's location alone - that's the norm. You need about 3 times the output for the bridge pup as the neck and the only pup set I'm aware of that even approaches that is the SD classic J stack where the bridge is like 20K and neck about 8K. Obviously it's nothing that impedes function since most pups sets are close to the same output.

What matters is the sound you get from them and that you can only know by installing them whatever they are.

3. Arlaman

Arlaman Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Thx for the info!