1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J Bass w/Fender American Special P-Bass neck/tuners/plate

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Aug 3, 2012.

1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I purchased the body and pickups/controls for this bass just about a month ago from the following Talkbass thread ....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f129/...y-loaded-bass-body-p-j-fiesta-red-hot-894018/

As the initial thread clearly states, this IS NOT a Fender body and electronics. What IS genuine Fender (and Fender USA no less!) is the neck, tuners, and neck plate. It has a NEW 2011 (never played before I got it) Fender American Special P-Bass neck with the 1.625" nut width, shallow-and-fast "modern C-shape", and twin graphite reinforcing rods. Tuners and neck plate are also genuine Fender USA items. With the neck's truss rod adjuster position, I routed the body and notched the pickguard for clean and easy access to the truss rod, and painted the inside of the routed-out body area with black paint, so that bare wood was not exposed under the truss rod cutout. Other than one surface "scuff mark" on the back of the bass body, which I could not get to show up in any photos, and a slight dull area about the size of a nickel on the white pickguard, there isn't a flaw on this bass.

I have more than $730 in parts, and 14 hours of absolute TLC invested in this bass .... and the neck-to-body joint is as tight as any bolt-on bass that I have ever played! Price reduced to $445 for the bass with no case or gig bag, or $515 with a brand-new Fender SKB hardshell case that fits the bass absolutely perfectly. A brand-new $179 Fender tweed double-strength premium gig bag is also available at the same price as the SKB hardshell case.

I'll be posting several pic's that I took this afternoon of this bass, beginning with these two ....

Attached Files:

2. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Before I forget:

1. The bass weighs a little more than 8 lbs., 10 oz. (my digital scale fluctuates between, 8 lb., 10 oz. and 8 lb., 11 oz.)
    2. The tone is pure classic mellow Fender, with a true P-Bass tone when the neck pickup is solo'd, and a "Jazzish" tone with both pickups up full. I like the tone when the neck pickup is on full volume, the bridge pickup is rolled-off about 25 to 30% and the tone control is set about 2/3 of the way to full-bass.
    3. The back of the neck has a satin finish, and this is the most-comfortable and "fastest" P-Bass neck I have played (I've owned more than 25 P-Basses since 1965-66, including a 2001 "Hot Rod" P-Bass and a 2008 American Standard P-Bass, both of which had similar neck profiles to this one).

Now, for a few more pic's ....

Attached Files:

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Here's some more close-up shots ....

Attached Files:

4. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    front and back ....

Attached Files:

5. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    as indicated in the initial post, here's the two case/bag options [These to cases are being offered as options with two other basses, so it is "first come, first served" with them] ....

Attached Files:

6. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    PMs answered ... bumping for the weekend

7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Ooh. Orange.

8. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    But it is a nice fresh vibrant Fiesta Red color! Certain woods actually look a bit more "orangish" than this bass when they are done in Fiesta Red. This one is between "Campbell Soup Red" and "Fire Engine Red".

9. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Whatever it is, I dig it. :D

10. Grr I'm thinking about it. It's just the color I'm debating about haha

11. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    See my initial post for reduced pricing, with or without case/bag, in red . I must be insane to go this low .... any lower and this great-playing instrument is staying right here with me!

12. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Smokin' HOT! Love the result. Awesome Axe, Doug!

13. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Very Nice Doug! GLWTS!

14. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    All PMs answered .... I am just about at my "rock bottom" price for this bass, as my current (and reduced) price leaves me with a $255 loss on the bass without a case or gig bag, and a $300+ loss, if I include either the case or bag, and this doesn't count my labor, just the cost of the parts in the bass!

15. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Price reduced to about $300 LESS than I have invested in parts alone!

16. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Any interest in just selling the loaded neck? Don't shoot! I totally understand if you need to sell it as a whole bass.

17. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I would really prefer to sell the bass whole rather than "parting it out". The loaded neck alone is easily worth more than I am asking for the whole bass.

Doug

18. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay Area - East Bay
    Can you tell more about the electronics?

Thanks

19. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Hey there... this particular body came loaded with these MIJ parts. Very Fender-esque. The P and J nail all tones you are looking for. The J is VERY Jaco sounding and both are deep, bright and quiet. The body/parts alone is worth more than what this whole axe is being priced at. Doug is giving this bass away....

Cheers!
    Joey