P - J bass wiring failure and i'm not sure why

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by llldino, Nov 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. llldino

llldino

Dec 16, 2012
    So I just picked up a set of Aguilar P-J bass pickups (passive) to put into my Fender Jazz Special. I wanted 2 volume, 1 tone, and 2 on - off switches for each pickup. I wired it according to the pink schematics I made.

Instead of having the desired results, now it seems the tone control and the bridge volume pot are the volume control when the bridge pickup is soloed. If the volume is up on the bridge volume pot and both switches are on there's no output. If the P pickup switch is on, and bridge switch is off there's still no volume unless the bridge pot is down, even though the bridge volume pot should not even be in the circuit anymore. There's so many of these oddities I can't even begin to realize what I did wrong.

The only other odd thing is that Aguilar reccomends a volume pot, a blend pot and a tone pot, but I don't really want to go with that setup. Also, they show wiring the bridge black into the hot and to ground the white, so I tried that but this results in the bridge pickup not working at all.

I'm so confused, please help me out!

Attached Files:

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    What you describe is so weird that in my experience it is likely to be a ground issue. Your schematic looks right unless I missed something. I would try to get one pickup or the other working with both the volume and tone pots working as expected. Once you do that you should be able to add in the other pickup.

3. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    Agree. In the schematic as drawn, the tone pot lacks any connection to ground. Typically there would be one at the side with the capacitor. You may have a ground in the wrong position. If this Jazz has a control plate and you have connections through pot and switch shells to the plate ground, but one or more of the pots and switches have the wrong wire to the shell, weird things will happen. The circuit you describe should sounds like a regular Jazz circuit with the extra on-off switches in there.

4. llldino

llldino

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks guys, it was a bad ground between a ground point and the jack, cleared all that up.

Now I'm just left with the original problem, which is that it sounds out of phase when both pickups are on, but both pickups solo sounds good. I'll attempt to switch the white and the black on one of them and hopefully that will clear it up. I don't get why Aguilar would wire them so the white is hot on one and the black is hot on the other S: I mean I guess I understand from a technical point of view but it makes wiring it somewhat of a challenge if you don';t really understand whats going ion.

I'll keep ya posted, thanks again!

JustForSport likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021