1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J Bass wiring ideas/questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by explodingPSYCH, Dec 4, 2016.

1. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    Q1.) Is there a wiring diagram that allows for switching between "P solo, J solo, Parallel and Series" that also keeps volume and tone knobs functional? If not, what's the next closest? Is there a "P, J, Parallel" switch set up that respects the volume and tone knobs?

Q2.) Anybody ever split their J pickup to a second output in a setup like this? Assuming it's doable, it might be fun to be able to route that pickup to other signal chains in the studio while running the P pick up in the other output. (Obviously this would mean no tone knob for the second output)

Q3.) The project I'm wiring has a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Bassline Jazz bridge pickup. It has two extra wires. In all the diagrams I've seen they are soldered together. Is there another purpose for those wires?

Thanks!

Edit: Line6man, any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. RunOddRun

RunOddRun

Jan 4, 2015
    Chicago
    Q1. Depending on the number of knobs a volume/blend/tone with a series/parallel switch or a push pull pot. It would be the same wiring as any Duel pick bass, you can also have a v/v/t with a push/pull or a switch. It's up to you. I prefer the later.

Q2. Richenbaker splits the pickups between two different outputs. You would have to add another tone, and in series the output would only be coming out of the bridge pick up, unless you wire it backwards. Still doable.

Q3 no idea

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Q3) The STKJ2 pickup has 2 stacked coils, each coil has a wire from the start of the winding and the end of the winding, so 2 wires on each coil. soldering the correct 2 together puts the 2 coils in series with each other, which makes best use of the setup, but, it's possible to use only one coil, as a single coil pickup, and not connect the other coil to the circuit. Just to hear the pickup as a single coil I once did that, and was surprised ..it sounded good, but, it had more output, and fatter tone as a humbucker. It's possible to wire it with a switch to be able to work as a single coil/dual coil (humbucker), though the pickup is mostly used as a dual coil, that's why the diagrams have the coils wired in series, if used in a P/J the single coil J will be weak, and overpowered by the P pickup,(not near as useful), (the P pickup is already a dual coil wired in series, and needs to stay that way).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Personally I prefer VVT to a switch as you can achieve a huge variety of blends. With a switch the P invariably dominates in the mid position, so for me being able to back it off a bit is essential. I use 500K pots to minimise loading and improve isolation when pickups are soloed. I also have selectable caps and a phase switch to add more flexibility.

Anyhow, here's the wiring, prior to adding the treble bleed on the P...

Wiring Diagram.

and a short video to demonstrate just a few of the options available...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    Q1. I was just thinking of using a switch for each position, so one position for parallel, one for series, one for p, one for j, but with the volume/tone knobs working in each position. Is there a wiring diagram of that??

Q2. What if I want to skip the tone knob on the direct out of the Jazz pickup? Would it be as simple as running additional wires from the output of the pickup to the jack directly, or would that cause any adverse side effects to the rest of the circuit? I was thinking it might be best to somehow wire it so that the J-pickup only wires to the second output when the switch is in P solo mode.... but not sure how I'd do that.

Ahh! Now I get it. That makes sense. Yeah, I'm guessing I'd just use it as a humbucker, though a switch is tempting!

How would a switch position where the pickups are in parallel and the V, V, T still function be different from a normal V, V, T? My assumption was that the switch would just be for bypassing which pickups are going to the pots. One switch position would cut the Jazz pick up out of the circuit, one would cut the P-bass pick up and the other would be the normal Parallel circuit.

6. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    BTW, this is a cool wiring option. I may look into adding this feature to the tone section.

SteveCS likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    No reason to not use switches and VVT together if you want total isolation, its just that in most cases the selector comes with a master volume - I assumed wrong :)

8. RunOddRun

RunOddRun

Jan 4, 2015
    Chicago
    You can add a S/P switch then a three way selector switch that would give you P/Both/J, I would go with a blend know though less head ache. If you only want two knobs go with a stacked V/B and a tone. You can wire the J Volume straight to the Jack, Bit then you would need a V/V tone. Seymour Duncan should have a wiring section, any guitar single coil wire diagram would work with bass. Don't pay attention to the pot ohms though. You can even look up a Rickenbacker diagram and that will show you how to wire a dual jack.
    I have always generally wired my basses Pickup(s)- S/P - selector switch- volume- tone- out.

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    The thing to remember with treble bleed in a VVT setup is that whilst the bleed cap 'adds' treble when the volume is backed off a little, as you approach 0 it starts to cut treble from the other pickup in the same way as a standard tone control. I find this useful but it is something to bear in mind. Of course with a switch it would not be an issue...

10. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    Can you point me to a wiring diagram for P only, Parallel, Series, J only? I think I want to do it with a rotary knob... thought I'm not exactly sure where to source the right knob. Seems like 500K is best for volume, but do I use 250k for tone?

11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Personally I prefer 250 for tone. IME 500 don't do much for the first half turn...

12. RunOddRun

RunOddRun

Jan 4, 2015
    Chicago
    IMG_0328.JPG
    Here is a simple diagram I found. yiu should be able to find the switches at Stewmac or Allparts. I plan on doing something similar with my streamer $$.

13. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009