1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

P-J bass (yamaha)..can you replace a 3 way toggle with blend or 2 vol?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by road-cat1, Apr 11, 2017.

1. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I have a Yamaha passive P-J 5 string that has a 3 way toggle switch between the P and the J pickup. I would assume that the impedance is different on the 2 pickups since 1 of them is a humbucker (P) and the other is single coil (J). 250K and 500K probably. I would prefer the option of blending the 2 pickups the way I want rather than having the toggle switch. How can I do this? I have been told that the master tone would not work the same on the 2 different pickups because of the impedance mis-match, and a blend control can not work because of the same reason. Yet...I believe that Fender, Sadowsky, etc.. have P-J setups. They may have active electronics, however and that would change the ballgame.

2. A blend pot works just fine.

If you are worried about impedance issues, get a buffered blend pot.

3. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    wouldn't a "buffered" blend pot require an active power supply? This is a totally passive bass...

4. Yes. You would need to make sure that there is enough room for a battery in the control cavity. It shouldn't be necessary to have a buffered blend, but the option is open.

5. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    i imagine it may be easier to just install a blend right in place of the 3 way.. let me know how it works out..
    have a PJ ibanez that i would like to put a blend in, instead of stock set up..
    p

6. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I took the bass to a great luthier/repair guy in the Phoenix area and will find out what he recommends.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    There was a modified passive blend pot mod discussed elsewhere on TB. I think Walter W. brought it up, it involves scratching out the opposite, far reaches of the traces in a dual ganged pot so it goes no load for the fully panned out pickup, giving the on pickup proper, passive loading.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021