P/J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Who can recomend a good 4 or 5 string P/J bass. I want something nice and warm. Something thats good for slapping too. Anyone?
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    People love Sadowsky's around here. They ain't cheap, but they do pretty much whatever you ask them to. Pedulla Raptures come in P/J setups... I just got a used Rapture not a week ago (admittedly, a J/J pup combination), and this thing rocks. There are tons more options, particularly if you go the custom route. Keep an eye on this forum for a week, and you'll have more choices than you know what to do with.
  3. I have a Yamaha with EMG P/J p'ups, and I can get any sound out of it I want to really. Its a killer bass, and not too expensive.

You'll get more options soon though

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
  6. I hate to crush all you Sadowsky Junkie's dreams of recruting another member, but I've already considered it, and I just don't want a sadowsy. I've heard them, and they sound great, but they are over and above my price range, which for now is 1000-1500, and I just dont like the look, how they've scaled down the bodies, so they're somewhat similar to a J bass, but just too small. I don't know, I figure at least ill get a Sadowsky outboard and plug that in, cuz I do love their sound.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  8. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I have a mid-80's Hamer Blitz. Love the pick tone. Usually really cheap if you can find one.
  9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    BTW, Roger can make full sized bodies for PJs. I know because I have one. Understand full well about the price, tho.
  10. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I think I was just talking about this yesterday in another thread, but I think the best deal on a good PJ bass these days is the Yamaha BB414 or BB415. Around $400 or $450. I have the BB1600 on which the BB414 is based. It's probably the warmest sounding bolt-on bass I've ever heard.

Also check ebay for the Ibanez RKB. I have this one too, which I got off musiciansfriend.com last year for $300 or so. It's basically a surplus ATK body and neck with a badass bridge and SD 1/4 lb. pickups.

If you get one of the above, and then spring for a Sadowsky preamp, you've spent below $700 on an awesome sounding setup.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

a sadowsky is a heartbreaker, but if you cant go that route, i highly recommend lakland. i've been impressed w/ the stuff i've seen. course, keep in mind, you wont get the uber cool jazz body shape, and they only come in 4's.
  12. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    How about a used Pedula...fat & warm barts. :bassist:
  13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    IMO,First option Sadowsky
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A little less expensive... Pat Wilkins new basses coming out in January. Ask me more in late January ;)

Next down the price list I would go with a Valenti. Just from knowing Nino and talking to him and the guys who use his basses. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. You really can't beat them, especially for the cost.