1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lacatts, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Been shopping around. They ain't cheap. At least not the American ones. The Fender website says they are $1685, but the Fiend says they have been discontinued. They sell only the Mexican version, at about $550.00. Has anyone played or owned the Mexican P/J? Any compliments or complaints?
    The Duck Dunn is listed at $1500 on the Lakland site for the Korean version That might be the way I go.
    As recommended, I've been looking for a used G&L SB1, but they seem to be pretty rare.
    Any help you can give as far as where to find these instruments, recommendations on a good price range, what you personally would do? You guys have always been most helpful. Thanks.:help:

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I saw 2 G&L SB1's on eBay last night...

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yamaha Japanese made BB414 or BB614. Under $500.00, awesome build, tone. Problem solved.

-Bazz-

4. +1

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's just the retail *list* price. Most any dealer will give at least 35% discount right off the top.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yup.

Too bad you just missed Musician's Friend blowing out fantastic passive USA Peavey Millenium P-J basses for $279.99. Equivalent in quality to a USA Fender. I still can't believe the deal I got on mine.

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    ibanez sr 400. p/j to the max

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This is going to sound crazy but I just got a BB415 and as far as fit, finish and build quality...it almost rivals my MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V. The Jazz Bass Deluxe has a rolled fingerboard making the neck very very comfy. The BB415 has a thinner neck making it very comfy as well. The BB415 "feels" just as solid and is actually a bit heavier. I'm very surprised at the quality of these new BB series basses. A whole lotta bass for a little bit of cash.
    -Bazz-

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Ron;
    Go get you a Fender 51P reissue, and install a fender custom shop 62 Jazz pup at the bridge. That's what I did. I got the 51 RIP used for $400, spent another $75 on the pup, and I really couldn't be happier.
    See it here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222841

10. Hi Gents,
    Thanks for all the input. Did anyone notice that no one had anything to say about the Mexican P/J one way or the other? This alone speaks volumes to me, and it's pretty much off my list.
    Chef, what is the neck width of the 51P? Ibanez? I'll try it Instigata.
    Zombywoof (Zappa fan?). Your advice seems to be the best. Which is find a good Fender sales place and make a deal. A thousand is more reasonable.
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning toward the Fender or Lakland, cause I just love my J's neck, and I love the body, pickup placement, tone controls of my P.
    As for the SB1-I found one on Ebay, but the neck is identical in size to the Precision.
    This site is the best, most helpful, most educational. If I had had it 30 yrs ago I'd be a much better player today. Any additional posts will be read assiduously and considered seriously. And, if anyone's interested, I'll post my decision, the price, and the result.
    one more thing to Philbiker: Dammit!