Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p / j bodyshape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 16, 2004.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i'm planning to build a warmoth bass, with a MM humbucker and a J of a P pickup ( MM / J or MM / P )

but i don't know yet if i should take a jazzbass body or a precision bass body...

i want to make a FAT sounding slap-bass. i guess the pickups make your sound, but can is just pick every body i want? or should i just take the jazz bass body?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Pick your body shape, based upon appearance. The two are so close in shape, that the difference is going to be negligable. I went w/ a Warmoth Dinky J & love it.

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but i hear people say you absolutaly CANNOT slap on a precision bass

:meh:

4. The symmetric lower body of the P-bass stands up better in a guitar stand. This depends somewhat on the stand type, but generally holds true.

You might find a different level of comfort between the two bodies. It seems my MIM-J fretless "fits" a bit better than my MIM-P, even though the P is my main player.

If I ever build a Warmoth project, it will be a P+J, on a J body, with a P neck.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

ROFL!

That's a silly statement any way you look at it, but it has nothing to do with the body shape. Normally it refers to P-basses, not PJ-basses: in other words, the P-bass has no bridge pickup, and for whatever reason, some people don't like the sound of a slapped P-bass. That doesn't apply to a bass with P and J pickups... and anyway, some people (like me) think P-basses sound great when slapped. But it is certainly true that the sound of a slapped J is very much in fashion these days (Marcus Miller).

I will add one thing: it's harder to slap a P-bass because a neck pickup soloed is more dynamic than a bridge pickup, or even neck plus bridge combined.

6. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    and if i add a MM pickup in bridge posistion? then i can slap with the MM pickup and play fingerstyle with the P pickup

7. Fuzzbass

Oh... sorry, I shouldn't have said P+J. P+MM or J+MM will be fine for slap and fingerstyle. You'll probably want to blend both pickups for a fuller slap sound, but that's for your ears to decide.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    First:
    You can do anything with any pickup type and any body type.

Second:
    Go with what body shape feels more comfortable to you and what you like the looks of.

Third:
    Everyone knows that red basses sound best. Get a red finish.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Is that why you had your Valenti done in teal? :spit:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not good enough for the best yet. ;)

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Actually, one of his choices, IIRC, was Red and I told him that Black or Green would definitely sound better.

:bassist: I don't hear anything. ;)

12. I think the Jazz body is very comfortable to play. great lines. It is an early bass example of form-follos function.

Visually, the J bass looks sexy.

I like P's too. You can slap a P. They just don't have the sex appeal that a J bass has. So a J with PJ pups would be a great way to go. I even like that Mark Hoppus Fender.

13. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i allready have a jazz bass, but i saw the p bass of mchildree

[​IMG]

and i really like it, but i want it with a MM pickup, and slappable

14. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Who says you can't slap a P? I'm going to go home and slap my P bass just to prove it can be done...again!

Actually, back in my slap days, I had a passive P/J. I later bought a MM Sterling thinking it would be even better...but I missed the added depth of the P pickup. I'm thinking a P/J may be better than a P/MM for slap...BUT...wire the MM with switchable coils and you'll be able to find the combo that works the best for you.

Body style, i'm kind of digging the P lately but wonder if the J is more ergonomic when played on a strap. Any one conducted scientific analysis on the two body styles.

15. If I'm not mistaken Chuck Rainey used his old P-Bass and slapped on Peg when it was recorded on the Aja album... and he had flats too.... :D That is some great slappin' IMO.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Larry Graham "invent" the slap technique? Also, did he not "invent" the technique using a P-Bass?

17. P+MM doesn't work, as they physically overlap. One or the other would have to move somewhere away from their respective sweet spot.

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Remember, you can lean a P against the wall...

19. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    :eek:

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL....

every time i see that bass... just fantastic

20. Fuzzbass

Good point: can't have a bass with authentically-placed P and MM pups. But I assumed location wasn't critical. F'r instance J+MM has become very popular (Lakland and others), and in that config the MM pup is closer to the bridge than it is on the MM Stingray: if it weren't, the MM pup would rest very close to the J pup.