1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Build - Pick Ups and Control Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbd5015, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    A friend of mine is putting together a P/J for me. I get to pick how I want it wired and what pickups are getting put into this beast. Options I wont use include Lollar and Seymour Duncan as I've got 2 other basses loaded with them! Lets try something different.

Im a passive fan, but im not opposed to the active idea. The builder is leaning towards the standard EMG active P/J set. Im leaning towards the Geezer P/J if I went the EMG route. Any other suggestions? I REALLY love the lollar overwound pickups ive got in my #1 Pbass. I went with a very traditional 250k pot and orange drop circuitry on that bass, and its definitely my bread and butter. The #2 bass has the SD quarter pounds with 500K pots and orange drop. Much hotter.

Im using TI Jazz Rounds on all the basses, play all kinds of stuff, but really like it simple. Im afraid of going the active route without having a GREAT passive signal in the bass. To me, passive first, active 2nd. Im assuming they make push/pull pots for this scenario? The input jack will be in the side of the bass, so the pickguard will have 3 control options. Perhaps a volume with push/pull for active, blend and tone will be sufficient and simple enough.

Do some active pickups sound lame in the passive mode?

Thanks for any input yall may have! Pics to come when he gets it built. Its gonna be a slim bass, 1.5" body depth, hand made neck with pitched tele headstock, i think the whole neck is brazilian rosewood.

cheers!

2. There is no such thing as active pickups in passive mode. Active pickups cannot be used without battery power. You can, however, opt for a bypassable preamp and passive pickups.

3. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    Thats an answer I was looking for! Thanks for the heads up! Having never looked into this type of pickup I have to plead ignorance!

So that limits the search to passive pickups and onboard preamps. The bass is currently routed for power which is why ive been pondering the actual addition of a powered circuit.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    EMG active pickups w/o a preamp (or in preamp bypass mode) aren't 'lame' at all- pretty hot!
    but tone is subjective...