1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

P-J Combo Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Llewellen, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Llewellen

Llewellen Guest

Dec 23, 2016
    I am upgrading an inexpensive 5 string P-J combo that I like in every respect except the PUs.

Musical style is soft jazz, blues soft pop/rock. No hard edgey stuff and no slap. I'm looking for very good extension in the low register, some of the essential P bass "growl" but also some of that harmonic "wire" sound reminiscent of Entwistle's Rotosound of yesteryear.

Recommendations please (based on actual use please). SD Quarter Pounders seem to be too hot for my application. Maybe Bartolini?? Thanks.

2. I've got 5 different p/j s. My most recent has the Wilde set and probably my favorite thus far. Bill Lawrence designed these with 5 poles on each half of the split p and 9 poles on the jazz so they may be used on 4 or 5 strings or even close spaced 6 strings. Amazing at any price but especially what they sell for .

I have the original EMGs in 2 basses and the EMG Alinco X in another . Before the Wildes I would have told you these are the way to go especially for volume output and balance between the pups. Still a solid choice.

My other has a '62 Fender p with a Duncan Vintage jazz. This bass sounds great but bridge soloed has a bit of hum and less output than the p but they do play nice together. Classic passive tones.

Again, take a look at the Wilde set, I think you'd find them suitable for a wide range of music.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Haroldo and reddog like this.
  3. Llewellen

Llewellen Guest

Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd vote Bill Lawrence or Nordstrand, based on what you said you play. Both are basically "improved" Fender designs, with better low end extension and detail.

5. I’ve got a set of Fralins in my PJ. They sound fantastic, very vintage-y. The J is spit coil and 5% overwound to match the P a little better as well. Although to be honest I play with the J pickup off 90% of the time.

Slater, TN WOODMAN and SpiceMan68 like this.
  6. I would personally avoid "Bill Lawrence" branded pickups due to bad blood there. Variations on Bill's original designs but...Details available ad nauseum elsewhere. The true Bill Lawrence line is the Wilde (Wilde Bill) Pickups. Although Bill has passed , wife Becky and a helper pretty much run the whole show now.

Haroldo and superheavyfunk like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021