Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P&J Combo.. what too buy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wesley R, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I have the chance to buy (very cheaply) a home made (custom built?) "pbass" the current pickups are horrid, the worst I have ever heard, I mean really suck.
    The thought is to buy it ,as the neck is beatiful, intonation is excellent and the strings drive the body well and un amplified it sounds very good. I have never owned a combo pick up set up like a P&J, but I might give it a go. Otherwise I will toss in some p bass equal.
    the sound that I would be after is the basic Pbass of the late 60's with a touch of note definition.
    Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thank You,
    Wesley R.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Nordstrand do a P/J combo, I haven't tried that combo but have tried the Nord J's and the Nord P. Both are excellent pickups - IMO they do what you say, vintage sound with more definition

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I just ordered a set of Dimarzo Ultra P/J's for my old Ibanez I defretted. Will let you know in a week or two if I like them and what they sound like. I took people's recomendations here mostly.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DM P/J are great pickups, I love the sound from them but I wouldn't say it's a vintage sound.