1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Configuration Precision or PSpecials - when did they originate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman08, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me when the first Pbody basses with a P neck pickup and jazz bridge pickup originated and what color schemes they came in (Tobacco Sunburst with gold anodized pickguard, etc.) Did they go all the way back to the 50's or did they start in the 60's or 70's?

I've seen these basses called precision specials and even precision deluxes (I think).

Any pics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I don't know when Fender started offering the P/J combo (mid 80's?), but Carl Thompson put a '62 Jazz pup on my '58 Pbass in '71 or '72 during a tour stop in NYC.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I started putting p bass pickups on my jazz basses (ala the Stu Hamm) in the mid 70's.

Then these started coming in from Japan in the early 80's...

[​IMG]

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I don't think there was a PJ fender before early 80's.
    None up intill 1980.

5. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Thanks fellow bass players. Please keep the responses coming.

It looks like the first ones in the early 80s didn't even have pickguards huh?

I was going to make poor man's reissue bass for myself from parts. I have a great tobacco sunburst body (3-color) with the p/j pickup configuration and a jazz pickup with cloth wiring. I bought a gold anodized pickguard to give it that 50's vibe, and I was thinking about investing in a true reissue neck (either U.S., Japanese, or late model Mex) with true reissue tuners and I was even thinking of getting reissue pbass pickups and pots (with the cloth wiring, etc.) I was even going to relic it, but then it occurred to me that they may not have had that pickup configuration back then and I guess I was right. So now, I'm thinking, do I just get a nice warmoth or allparts neck and call it a day? Would be a hecka of a lot cheaper...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's my '93, since sold.

7. From what I know, it became a popular mod in the 70s (maybe late 60s?). Mind you, everyone modded everything in the 70s. Basically it's an easy addition to a P bass that gives it a bit of variety.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think that look was made popular in the 80s and was seen as modern back then because it meant a break with the classic Fender concept. As you can see, things haven't really changed much as most bass designs that are seen as modern come without pickguards.

9. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Wow Munjibunga, great ash grain on that '93. I assume that's U.S. made, but correct me if I'm wrong. Interesting how they mounted the pots in more of a Tele style. Could be just me, but it also looks like they moved the bridge pickup just a little closer to the neck pickup (away from the bridge), but could also be an illusion as I'm used to seeing the pickguard there.

Is that a stock bridge?

Also, from the others who responded, I really appreciate the info about that being a popular mod in the 70's and that one person who did it to their earlier model. That's good to know. I could still pursue this as a reissue style project and it would just look like it was modified for that extra pickup.