1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p/j controls: concentric vol/tone for each pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billoetjen, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hi Folks,
    Checked and haven't seen this exact Q anywhere.
    Building a passive 4 string p/j from Warmoth body/neck. To keep the look clean, I want to have as little hardware showing as possible. Please add your comments on the advisability of this:
    get two concentric 250 K pots, use each one as a vol/tone for an individual pup. I figure that way, I can control the vol AND tone for each pup.
    Wire pup to the vol ----> tone ----> jack.
    Any ideas why this may not work?
    Thanks as always,
    Bill Oetjen
    billoetjen@fastermac.net

2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    The original Fender Jazz bass was wired this way, and I own a P bass that the previous owner modified in this way, with a J pickup at the bridge. It works, and the Fender site has the wiring diagram you'll need.

3. Hi Bill,
    First, thanks so much for responding and sharing information. That's what I love about TB.
    I went to the Fender site and easily found all the parts/wiring/layout diagrams. I could not find one that had the set-up I have in mind. Must have missed something. Just for clarification, each pup would have its own concentric pot - top knob for vol, bottom for tone. That way, there's a j concentric pot, and a p concentric pot. I appreciate your taking the time to get back to me on this.

Bill

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    This is it:
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190209C/SD0190209CPg2.pdf

Ignore the fact that the neck pup is a jazz, it is irrelevant. For wiring purposes, a pup is a pup unless you're talking active versus passive. I know nothing about active pickups, except that I think they usually have stacked pots/concentric knobs, but I don't know how they're wired.

I have a P bass with a J bridge pup that uses concentric knobs and stacked pots as you described - one knob set controls vol/tone for the neck, one for the bridge. The neck pup is a P and the bridge is a J. The knobs are concentric, i.e. 2 in 1 - the smaller one controls volume and the bigger one that is like a ring around the smaller one controls tone.

5. Hey, Bill

You were one hundred percent right. :eek: I apologize for doubting you. That is exactly the layout that I have in mind. Wonder why we don't see that arrangement more often. You'd think folks would want to have more individual control over the contribution each pup makes.
    Thanks again, and man, I'm glad I've found TB. :hyper:

Bill

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021