P/J - Covering two basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Sep 21, 2005.

1. For those of you who've played one, can a P/J cover the need for a seperate P and J bass? Are you satisfied with the P tone and the J bridge pickup tone to have one to cover both? Or do you feel that you can only get the true tone with a P and a J?

2. If I could have only one P/U config, it'd be the P/J setup.
    I think the Stu Hamm basses are cool 'cause they have a J/P/J setup.
    I have one bass with a P/J and I can get a ton of different tones from it.
  3. If you solo the P or the J, do you get a convincing tone from both?
  4. My bass currently has a P/J set up in it, I really like the combination and variation in tone you can get. The J at the bridge is better for a brighter sound or a clunky rock/punk tone. P gives a fatter bassier sound and hence is my fav. but I mainly use both as it gives a rounder sound.
  5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Hi Bernie,

I have a PJ and it works quite well for me. I tend to solo the J pick-up on most of my J basses anyway so for me it works. If I want a P sound I simply roll the blend the other way. I guess I could get by with a toggle switch actually on that particular bass? ;)
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My bass is a PJ and I love it, very distinctive tones and a gourgeous fat sound from the P.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont think a PJ can nail a true J bass tone.
  8. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    A P/J can do P but it can't do J.
  9. Thanks for the replies everyone.

You guys that say it can't nail a J tone, are you saying it can't get a solo'd bridge pickup tone like a true J?
  10. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I play a P/J and can get the P, of course, but the only J I can get is the Jaco type where its just the back pickup. Both pickups together don't really get the J bass thing. While its a great tone, it's too midrangy to do the J thing.
  11. These guys are right. You can nail a P sound, but you can't get the full J sound out of a PJ setup. It's a pretty good compromise though if you can only have one bass. They are very versatile! I've never liked them personally though, and I'd rather have one of each. In fact, I do!
  12. Thanks, guys.

As long as one could get a good P tone and a solo'd bridge J tone, I'd be happy.
  13. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As far as my alder Sadowsky PJ goes, all P pickup is all the P you could want and all J pickup is all the J bridge sound you could want. But...as stated... as soon as you blend one way or the other, it becomes neither. I think it becomes more than the sum of the parts but the JJ sound isn't there.
  14. Very cool. That's what I was shooting for.

Thanks again everyone.
  15. I've been playing a PJ setup for a long time now and I absolutely love it, you can get a lot of different tones out of one intstrument. I love it, but what you should really do is go and play some at your local music stores and see what you think for yourself. Maybe you could rent one from their and try it out on your with you setup at home on on stage or whatever it may be so you can tell if you like it. No matter what anyone here says it has to be pleasing to your own ear!
  16. I wish we had a store around here that carried high end equipment such as that but we really don't. There's a boutique store up in Chicago but they're more guitar oriented.

Everyone's input definitely helps though.
  17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

Yes, that was my point above in saying that I'd be fine with a toggle switch. I solo my bridge pick up a lot on my J basss so for me the PJ works fine. You can't get that classic full bridge, slightly rolled off J neck pick up that you can with a true J though - for obvious reasons.
  18. Since I've never played a J-bass :bag: , I'm not sure how the J P/U compares to a jazz bass using both P/Us. I'll defer to others ...
    I have dicovered though, that I usually wind up using the Precision P/U and the J not so much. Personal pref, I guess.
  19. Cool, Joel. Thanks alot. The versatility that setup would bring is something I could really use.
  20. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    How about a Fender American Deluxe P? This bass has a P pup in the normal position and a humbucker in the bridge position. Although it has an active preamp, can you get tones similar to a barebones P if you roll-off the bridge HB?