P-J for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Alright, I'm a P fan, and not much of a slapper (haven't figured it out...). However, if I wanted to use the occasional slap technique or lick, would a P-J setup be the thing? My P is cool for fingerstyle (and pickstyle, if necessary), but none too modern sounding in the slap role. :confused:
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Though, I prefer not to have a P PU on any bass I own, A P/J combo will work fine. A Spector I owned about 10 yrs ago had a P/J set up and with both PU's maxed it was a great balance of boomy hollowness from the P and snap and articulation from the J.
  3. I've got the P/J setup on my Fender Precision plus and a P/JJ setup on my Warmoth P (with the JJ double humbucker run in single coil mode it's a P/J).
    both are completely passive.

the slap tone is pretty good, to my ears, especially on the Fender, which has an EMG Select P/J set.
    along the same lines as a Jazz bass, with a bit more high mids.
    the Warmoth has an EMG Select P p/up and a Kent Armstrong JJ p/up- a more scooped sound in P+J mode than the Fender.
  4. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Despite the fact I have Squire P/j, this thing gets really good slap tone. I think I got lucky, because none of the other Squires I have played sounded as nice as mine. But I think P/J is a great mix of sounds and sounds great for slap.
  5. i think this should remove all doubt as i say victor wooten, his bass has a p/j configuration, and i'd be willing to stick up for the man and say he can slap:)
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, good point about Señor Wooten. His sound is pretty clean, and his technique's not bad, either. ;)
  7. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ive got a emg p/j set on my bass and that really kicks with my amp for a slap pop sound so i think it should work just fine for you, i also only use the s&p techinique ocasionally like on two of my bands songs the rest i use my fingers so the sound works
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, that would work, yes, but you'd be better off with two single coil J p/u (as on a Jazz bass) or a single, double-coil p/u mointed near the bridge (as on a Stingray). The American Jazz and Stingray are the best basses for slap, in my experience but many others are also very good. It really boils down to personal preference.