1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-J for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Alright, I'm a P fan, and not much of a slapper (haven't figured it out...). However, if I wanted to use the occasional slap technique or lick, would a P-J setup be the thing? My P is cool for fingerstyle (and pickstyle, if necessary), but none too modern sounding in the slap role. :confused:

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Though, I prefer not to have a P PU on any bass I own, A P/J combo will work fine. A Spector I owned about 10 yrs ago had a P/J set up and with both PU's maxed it was a great balance of boomy hollowness from the P and snap and articulation from the J.

3. I've got the P/J setup on my Fender Precision plus and a P/JJ setup on my Warmoth P (with the JJ double humbucker run in single coil mode it's a P/J).
    both are completely passive.

the slap tone is pretty good, to my ears, especially on the Fender, which has an EMG Select P/J set.
    along the same lines as a Jazz bass, with a bit more high mids.
    the Warmoth has an EMG Select P p/up and a Kent Armstrong JJ p/up- a more scooped sound in P+J mode than the Fender.

4. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Despite the fact I have Squire P/j, this thing gets really good slap tone. I think I got lucky, because none of the other Squires I have played sounded as nice as mine. But I think P/J is a great mix of sounds and sounds great for slap.

5. i think this should remove all doubt as i say victor wooten, his bass has a p/j configuration, and i'd be willing to stick up for the man and say he can slap:)

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, good point about Señor Wooten. His sound is pretty clean, and his technique's not bad, either. ;)

7. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ive got a emg p/j set on my bass and that really kicks with my amp for a slap pop sound so i think it should work just fine for you, i also only use the s&p techinique ocasionally like on two of my bands songs the rest i use my fingers so the sound works

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, that would work, yes, but you'd be better off with two single coil J p/u (as on a Jazz bass) or a single, double-coil p/u mointed near the bridge (as on a Stingray). The American Jazz and Stingray are the best basses for slap, in my experience but many others are also very good. It really boils down to personal preference.