Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p/j help before i do something to my Ho

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 6, 2003.

1. i have read lots of threads about this issue and it is just driving me nuts! i have a p bass that is a bit of a Ho but i just absolutely love it :D (the sound the color the bruttiness of it) but rarely play anymore because i recently fell in love with the whole jazz bridge pup thing (jaco yawn yawn WICKED :bassist: !). basically i miss my Ho and was thinking of putting in a jazz pup at the bridge but am like stressed out by posts saying that it affects the P bass pickup's sound:mad: . surely this is only when you have both pickups coming thru? i was thinking of taking out the tone pot and making this a vol for the jazz pup. stuff the tone control i hardly ever use it anyway (just roll in the neck pup on my jazz if i want to mellow the bridge one - and less hum what do you know!). so with this setup and just the P pup vol up it should be the same as it is now (pre hotrod). in other words how do added pups affect already installed pups!!!:confused:

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Adding another pickup will only affect the "sound" when used with the old pickup together, however if you install a method of selecting either or both pickups, you will be able to go back to just using the original pickup by itself and the new pickup will be out of circuit and therefore will have no affect on the sound of the old pickup.

That being said, however, if you were to use a "blend" pot, even when you turn the pot all the way to the old pickup, the new pickup will still bleed in a little bit of sound. It will be very little sound, but it will still be there, and depending on your ear, you may or may not be able to tell the difference.

What I would suggest to avoid this, if it is a concern for you, would be to use something like a gibson/les paul 3 way toggle switch, or two microswitches, one for each pickup instead of using a blend pot. That way when you turn off one of the pickups, it is OFF. You could even run a volume pot for each pickup before the 3 way switch with the tone pot being after the switch (if you wanted a single tone pot for both pickups), and then when switching between them you could have one set louder than the other, etc. Your personal preference depends on how much routing you want or are willing to do to add extra pots and switches if the control cavity won't accomodate them all.

I recently installed a Les Paul 3 way toggle switch in a MIM 5 string Jazz bass, works great!

:^)~