1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Hybrid, Jazz body??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fitbass3p, Mar 14, 2008.

1. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Hey guys, I have a seemingly stupid question that I can't seem to find the answer to on any retail site. I'm looking for a bass that I thought would be simple to find, but I haven't had any luck. I'm looking for a hybrid p-j model.
    Two catches:
    Catch 1: I want it to be on a jazz bass platform. Basically, like if someone had screwed up making a jazz bass and "accidently" put a p-pickup in instead of a neck jazz pup. I've seen a couple manufacturers that will do this (Sadowsky Metro will finally have one, Lakland Bob Glaub, etc.) on a p-bass body, but I'm looking for jazz all the way.

Catch 2: No Fender.

Is there any manufacturer that does this as a standard line, or am I straying into the realm of a custom build?

Cheers,
    ~Nick

2. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    why no fender?

reggie hamilton sig no?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't recall seeing one.... maybe a regular jazz with a Warmoth body and do the work yourself?

Or even buy a jazz and have a new pickguard made and the bass routed?

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Sadowsky, Lull, Nordy, etc...

5. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Yeah BigMike, I realize I could move up to the "big leagues" like that, but I don't think I can swing that much money right now.

palm_grease, I can't believe I missed that model. It's surprising that Fender actually has something that appeals directly to me, I'll have to check it out.

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  8. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've got a Reggie Hamilton Standard (MIM) and I can tell you that you shouldn't be fooled by the fact it's MIM. The attention to detail on my bass is pretty amazing, the pickups are US made and the fit and finish is superb. The d-tuner is a nice touch as well. The only negative that I could give about the bass is that the preamp is a little bit sterile. It works well, and provides a nice clean bit of boost, and some added eq'ing, but it doesn't bring too much more to the table. The passive switch is a nice feature for when your batteries die.
    :D

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    This.

And you can always put the J pup back in.

10. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Sadowsky NYC

11. They majority of PJs tend to have a J body . . .

12. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    This is one nice feature about the MIM Reggie Hamilton. B/C it uses the standard MIM body blank, it can easily drop a J into the neck position and swap out the pickguard!

:bassist:

13. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    Frank Bello sig?

14. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    or something like that jazz special duff mckagan uses

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Precision bass body.

16. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Well if you were willing to look at Fender I'd have said just get a Mexi Jazz and make a little project of it. The neck pickup well is routed big enough under the p/g to take a P pickup; you'd just have to get yourself one. You'd probably also want to swap the bridge pickup for a humbucking J since you'd lose the hum-cancelling you get from the set.

But, no Fender. I'm sure Sadowsky would make you a P/J however you wanted it. You could also probably find an SX P/J combo with a Jazz body (or buy an SX and trick it the same way you'd do a Fender).

Not sure exactly what you have against Fender.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The Hamilton is very cool. :bassist:

However, I am with BigMike. Sadowsky NYC, Lull---and you might even check and see if Nino Valenti will do one.

None of these are cheap, though the Valenti's are a bargin and all of them can be found used (TB classified is a good idea, as I'm sure you know). :D

The big guns are worth it. Save every cent and do it. :hyper:

18. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    You said "No Fender," but the CIJ Aerodyne Jazzes are PJ in a jazz body. The Not For Export ones even offer a variety of colors. The one they export to the US only comes in black with creme binding and no pickguard. Worth a look but, alas, Fender.