1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J jazz bodied players, a question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momo, Apr 17, 2006.

1. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am really deciding that my next bass (coming soon, keep an eye out Nino, you're at the top of the list) is going to be a Jazz styled P/J. I do have one concern though, I did some rough measurements on my P and J basses, and I don't see how you can get the P pickup in the correct place and still be under the guard. Am I wrong? Are those of you with this setup able to achieve the classic P tone?

I want the bass to sound like a P first, but the body and J pickup would add some diversity to the bass. What do you think? Does the location make THAT much of a difference on these types of basses? What about the bridge PU location? 60's or 70's placement work better with a PJ?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Worst comes to worst, go with a J/P config :p

3. I think the main source of the Pbass tone is the pickup itself more so then the placement. Soloing the neck pup of MIA Deluxe Pbass sounds almost the same as MIA Pbass despite the shifting the pickup towards the neck.

4. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Look at a Reggie Hamilton. It works fine.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    PJ basses have a different pickguard and control plate placement. (at least Sadowsky). Check a JJ and a PJ in the Sadowsky gallery side by side and you'll see the difference.

6. look at the fender aerodyne (export model) jazz bass, its P/J and doesnt have a pickguard, no problems there then! :p

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Good advice. I tried one a couple of weeks ago, and was favorably impressed. I prefer the necks on my Am. Ser. Fenders, but this one is still very good. I think it sounds much better than previous active Fenders, and unlike most it has a passive option. My only gripe was its weight, but I'm sure that varies.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Who says you have to use a pickguard? Go rear routed, & get a really sick top on it. You wont want to cover it w/ a pickguard!

9. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I thought about that, but I am going to have the bass built with a route for a j PU as well, just in case I want to change things up every now and again, The pick guard would have to cover it.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It works, but you are cutting it close. Here is a picture from the Warmoth site.

[​IMG]

11. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    If you are really picky about the "P" sound, the placement of the pickup does matter. My Sadowsky P/J does a very good job of getting a P sound, and the bridge pickup does a whole lot of versatility.

I have no idea about the pickguard, because I don't have any basses with pickguards.

12. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I might just go with the P body style, but I just like J bodies more.

FWIW, I am going for more of a rock P sound with this bass, so I can put the flats and bridge cover back on my 78P. I know this bass wont be straight up motown, but I am more looking for that gnarley roundwound (punkish? U2ish?) kind of sound. Maybe the PU placement wont make as much of a difference for this.

13. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I had mine routed by warmoth and I haven't checked the measurements but I think it's correct. It was a dinky j body, so they apparently couldn't cut a pickguard for me. Michael Dolan, who did the finishing, made one for me that worked. I'm sure others can as well.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My Warmoth PJ, in a Jazz Body... Sounds like a P, Feels like a J. If you're hung up on having a pickguard, then do it.

15. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
  16. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That sounds pretty damn P-ish to me. Are you more of a P or a J player KayCee? Is there anything about the P tone of this bass that you don't like?

17. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I'm probably more of a J player, but in the studio the P-Bass sound is most often called for, IME. It's funny, I've never found the Precision sound very appealing on it's own, but it sits in the mix so well and sounds great in that context. Same with pick playing...I never practice with a pick, but I often use one in the studio to bring articulation to a recorded part.

This Valenti bass is pretty new to me, but my other fretted bass, a Fender American Deluxe Precision V, is also a P/J (or P/JJ). It is the same recipe, Alder body with maple/maple neck. I've done tons of sessions and live performances with it, and it always gets the job done with thumbs up from producers and engineers.

As far as personal taste goes, my favorite sounds on both PJ basses are blends of the two pickups, slightly favoring the bridge pup. I've got more samples of the Valenti on the Valenti megathread if you're interested.

Hope this helps.

Andy

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

If I was going to go with a PJ I would go for one like this [​IMG][/IMG]