p/j once and for all!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 6, 2003.

1. i have read lots of threads about this issue and it is just driving me nuts! i have a p bass that is a bit of a Ho but i just absolutely love it (the sound the color the bruttiness of it) but rarely play anymore because i recently fell in love with the whole jazz bridge pup thing (jaco yawn yawn WICKED!). basically i miss my Ho and was thinking of putting in a jazz pup at the bridge but am like stressed out by posts saying that it affects the P bass pickup's sound. surely this is only when you have both pickups coming thru? i was thinking of taking out the tone pot and making this a vol for the jazz pup. stuff the tone control i hardly ever use it anyway (just roll in the neck pup on my jazz if i want to mellow the bridge one - and less hum what do you know!). so with this setup and just the P pup vol up it should be the same as it is now (pre hotrod). in other words how do added pups affect already installed pups!!!!!
  2. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    You should get a stacked volume pot and a push-pull switch/tone pot. That way, you can control the volume of each pickup, the tone, and if you want true P-bass tone, you can wire the push-pull to cut the J pickup completely out of the signal. Thats the best thing I can think of right now if you only want 2 pots. If you could go to 3, I'd wire it Vol-Vol-Tone(Push/Pull). That would most likely be the easiest to use. You could also install a mini switch, but I don't know if you'd want to install one, etc...
  3. that sounds like good advice! i don't mind about the switch (it's a JV series squire that has been home finished by a impatient blind previous owner - sounds awsome thought) so would go with that. don't happen to have a wiring diagram for idiots lying around? also really really keen to get other opinions. cheers
  4. especially from those who have posted before saying that it affects the P bass pickup. justify?
  5. I've got a '97 AmStd P that I P/J'd about 3 years ago. I put a SD 1/4# J-bridge pup in it. I used a stack pot for the two volume controls (P bottom, J top) and a pot/switch for the tone. The switch is used to switch the J-pup and it's volume control in or out as I wish.

This bass sounds just as much like a P-Bass as it did before I made the mod. It also sounds like a HRPB, or any other P/J, when I want it to.

The wiring is an easy mod to perform. The routing is not. I had my luthier do the routing for me.

Try it. I think you'll really like it.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    AFAIK the only affect onthe P pickup is if they're both used. If you use only one or the other I can't see them affecting each other. Personally I don't like the sound of both the P and J running at the same time. I don't think those pickups work together very well.
  7. I'm actually planning on doing pretty much the same thing to my Ibanez TR. It already has a P and I'm putting in a J at the bridge. I'm going to use stacked pots Pvolume/Jvolume and Ptone/Jtone. I suck at workworking so I'm gonna have my dad do that for me. he's good at that stuff. I just have to wait for my parts to arrive. I'm taking pictures of the whole process. If anyone's interested in seeing them, I'll send them to you or post them or something. I think it should really improve the sound. It'll have SD SPB-2 and STK-J1 pickups in it. I want to put 1/4 pounds in there, but I can't afford it right now(paying for college sucks hardcore).
  8. when you use both pickups, the signal from one feeds slightly into the other, affecting the overall tone. using a switch to cut the j pickup out entirely defeats that problem.

i think the P/J sound is pretty incredible. i can't believe i don't own one already.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It's a nice alternative to the pure Jazz or P sound. I like it.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

YMMV, but I started liking PJ basses once I realized that they didn't sound like J basses (they sorta do, sorta don't).

I'm more of a P-bass guy so I don't always use the J-pup, and when I do I don't blend it all the way in, and *never* use more J than P. With that in mind, my favorite PJ wiring configuration is the following: Master Volume, J-pup Volume, Master Tone. I can dial in the blend I prefer using the J volume knob, and then adjust overall volume with one knob without messing up that blend. Works great for me.

That reminds me, I'd like to get my Lull PJ5 wired that way. But I use the J pup so infrequently that I haven't gotten around to it.