1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/J Pick-up Combinations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Mods:If you wanna move this to where-ever,then do so...I dunno where the belongs. Sorry.

What kind of P/J pick-up combo's do you come up w/ on the onboard EQ?(Tone,P volume,J volume)

I've been fooling around with the different sounds I get from it...and I was just wondering which you guys use.

I usually use full P,off J,no tone...but I am finding a liking to J on,P off,No tone.

For slap,I turn on Tone and P,and turn off J and it's pretty decent.

Anyways...whats yours?
    -Jon:oops:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    My preference is with P/J config's. That's my favorite setup. I have used all kinds but I always pick up either a P or P/J if I can. Reason being you kinda get the best of both worlds. I pretty much use about 75% of the P and 25% of the J pickup. P gives me the warmth and a little of the J gives me a little bit of bite. Most of my P/J's are set up Volume/Tone/Blend...I do have an active P-Lyte that I believe is set up Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone although I am not for sure. It's got a low-end Bartolini pre in it but it serves that bass well. I am building another P/J right now with a body I picked up and I am trying to figure out how I am going to configure it. It's got the input jack on the bottom of the bass but the control layout is setup for four (4) pots. I had planned to just set it up Volume/Tone/Blend but the fourth hole is a little bit bigger....only thing I can think of to put there would be a pickup selector switch like on the older MIJ Jazz Specials but I am thinking that would cancel the Blend pot out...I dunno and didn't mean to wander off of the thread.:meh:
    Honestly though I prefer P/J's with simple pot config's.:D

3. Yeah dude...I agree...I think a p/j combo bass for my first bass was a great idea...at the time...I had no idea,but now...I find a liking to as how I can get alot of diverse tones from just turning a knob:)

I am going to try that 75P/25J combo tomorrow,sounds like a good idea...

I like that "dead" tone...so I usually keep the tone all they way off...:)

-Jon:oops:

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Pickups might have been an excellent choice. ;)

5. I dig the name change;)