1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-J pickup advice. What bridge P/U best matches an SD Quarter Pounder ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hankhill, Mar 8, 2018.

1. hankhill

hankhill

Feb 4, 2005
    I have a Quarter Pounder Precision (SPB-3) that I have used for several years. I now want to move it to another bass with a P-J layout, and would like advice on what Jazz bridge pickup upgrade would be the best match for the SJB-3 Quarter Pounder. I was going to get another Quarter Pounder - Jazz Bridge SJB-3b, but I have seen some advice that a dual coil p/up like a STK-J2b would be better for noise cancelling. My fear is that a non-Quarter Pounder will just get overpowered by the neck Q-P pickup. Any advice please? My style is fairly hard finger playing, and I’m playing rock and pop covers. The bass is a 1996 Fender Precision 62 reissue, customised with a Jazz bass pickup fitted. The neck pickup will be the Quarter Pounder Precision (SPB-3). I could just use the bridge pickup as a thumb rest (which is why I like this bass) but it would be a shame not to get some sound contribution out of it.