1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p/j pickup or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Jan 19, 2003.

1. i am part of 2 bands and one is a fast rock/punk rock and roll band. I want a very flashy trebly tone for that. I also play in a maybe u can classify Melodic Hardcore band, in the likes of Thursday.i kinda think a deeper sound is good for that. I was wondering what bass is for me, i was thinking J for first band. P for second,...so then i was like hey why not the mix Fender deluxe bass. Would that satisfy my needs? i also play reggae, funk(slap/pop), blues, want some jazz, rockabilly stuff, most rock. If my idea isnt right, someone please help me out. I have around 600 bucks prolly. I will save some or if i dont have to.i wont.i trust the good people at TB so please help anyone.

2. Hmm, I suggest you try the duluexe, first of all.

The P-J setup should give you what you are looking for, the way I see it. I remember someone gave me a good explanation, but I've forgotten.. :(

Try the bass out, see what you think. Maybe a 5-string would give you that 'deeper' tone you are looking for? :)

g'luck

:D

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I agree with Microbass - try a deluxe. I was checking one out the other day and liked the different tones it could produce. It didn't quite have the "classic" P-Bass sound but was close. The J pickup in the bridge position was good though for slappin. With both pickups full on, it didn't sound like a Fender but I liked it still.

You could prolly get a MIM Deluxe model for under $600. The one I played was MIM and they were only askin $545...oh! and it had 24 frets too, which I thought was kinda odd for a Fender...

4. thanks alot for your input.I had a feeling fender was for me. Is deluxe my only option?or are there any other suggestions.

5. Yahama has a really nice p/j set up.. I've forgotten the model though. The bass plays VERY WELL and sounds warm & clear.

You could also try out warwick, but I think getting the good warwicks with a p/j set up might start costing you some major $$$!

G'luck :D