1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p j pickups advice needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tanuki, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    hi there,

im in the process of planning a fretless project with a p bass neck, jazz body, i wanted to use PJ pickup configuration, wanted a very warm sound off the p pup with more definition from the j

i was looking at quarter pounders, will they be too agressive for a fretless tone? Maybe seymour duncan hot pickups?

or kent armstrong?

or somethign else??

i am confused, can anyone help??

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    humm, i never experience to play a fretless PJ, but when i heared a bass player named Steve Digiorgio on a song that he used his fretless PJ bass with bartolinis, totally nice sound. but its not enough too fulfil your questions. but its a place to start :p

3. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    bump,

im still not sure, i even considered putting a dark star in there but i think im going to save that for when my eb3s mudhucker goes too microphonic!

i want to get a warm fretless, like Juan Alderete gets on the big sir album or the second tune off frances the mute

i like the sib end of jazz basses but hate the plinkyness of the higher notes

please help, this subject is baffling and i live in the wrong country to try ouy a lot of the things i am reading about!
    :crying:

4. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    What do you plan to use for strings and fingerboard wood?

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    the name of the song is Death - The Philosopher, this is prog death metal, so its maybe not your cup of tea, but check it out if you want to ;)

6. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    im probabley using a rosewood board and i usually use rotosounds

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you haven´t read the PJ pickup shootout, I highly recommend that you do just that.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124608

8. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    ive got a set of p/j dimarzios on a p-bass. keeps the traditional feel of the pickups with a bit more gain.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Bill Lawrence P46 and J45. I installed a set in my Rumblefish. Very clear, punchy and quiet. Best balanced PJ set I've come across yet. I use Duncan SJB1's in my fretless J though. Vintage woody tone with all the idiosyncracies (?sp). Still my favorite fretless sound though.

I am not really inf avor of hot pickups in a bass. I don't really want to hit the front end of my amp with more signal. I do like it clean, clear and punchy. If I need distortion, I can crank up the pre and drop the volume on the power amp... I do not equate 'growl' with distortion. The growl factor, I think comes from technique rather than an amp setting. Ounchy and clear pup;'s let the technique ring through.

Have you considered flats for your f'less ? Rounds have a unique sound but they do chew up fretboards like no tomorrow. I use D'Addario Chomes on mine. Very woody.