Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p j pickups advice needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tanuki, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    hi there,

im in the process of planning a fretless project with a p bass neck, jazz body, i wanted to use PJ pickup configuration, wanted a very warm sound off the p pup with more definition from the j

i was looking at quarter pounders, will they be too agressive for a fretless tone? Maybe seymour duncan hot pickups?

or kent armstrong?

or somethign else??

i am confused, can anyone help??

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    humm, i never experience to play a fretless PJ, but when i heared a bass player named Steve Digiorgio on a song that he used his fretless PJ bass with bartolinis, totally nice sound. but its not enough too fulfil your questions. but its a place to start :p

3. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    bump,

im still not sure, i even considered putting a dark star in there but i think im going to save that for when my eb3s mudhucker goes too microphonic!

i want to get a warm fretless, like Juan Alderete gets on the big sir album or the second tune off frances the mute

i like the sib end of jazz basses but hate the plinkyness of the higher notes

please help, this subject is baffling and i live in the wrong country to try ouy a lot of the things i am reading about!
    :crying:

4. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    What do you plan to use for strings and fingerboard wood?

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    the name of the song is Death - The Philosopher, this is prog death metal, so its maybe not your cup of tea, but check it out if you want to ;)

6. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    im probabley using a rosewood board and i usually use rotosounds

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you haven´t read the PJ pickup shootout, I highly recommend that you do just that.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124608

8. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    ive got a set of p/j dimarzios on a p-bass. keeps the traditional feel of the pickups with a bit more gain.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Bill Lawrence P46 and J45. I installed a set in my Rumblefish. Very clear, punchy and quiet. Best balanced PJ set I've come across yet. I use Duncan SJB1's in my fretless J though. Vintage woody tone with all the idiosyncracies (?sp). Still my favorite fretless sound though.

I am not really inf avor of hot pickups in a bass. I don't really want to hit the front end of my amp with more signal. I do like it clean, clear and punchy. If I need distortion, I can crank up the pre and drop the volume on the power amp... I do not equate 'growl' with distortion. The growl factor, I think comes from technique rather than an amp setting. Ounchy and clear pup;'s let the technique ring through.

Have you considered flats for your f'less ? Rounds have a unique sound but they do chew up fretboards like no tomorrow. I use D'Addario Chomes on mine. Very woody.