1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P+J Pickups for CIJ Fender Aerodyne Bass suggestions for punk rock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ivrogne, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    Hello evryone!

Recently I got a used Aerodyne, and it needs a little upgrade/repair. Some parts are a little rusted, some a little creacked, like it was heavily used and kept far from ideal conditions.

I'm a total gear noob and know no poopie about tech specs, so I'd love to get some feedback, user experience and educated suggestions. Like brands (DiMirzio, Seimour or anything else), models, pros and cons of each.

From my experience, my bass is super powerful on e-string, but seems lacking a bit of attack on other strings, that have to be compensated by extra equalisation. But there isn't always such possibility for extra equalisation in some poopy clubs. Can I fix this by other pickups?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Did you try adjusting the pickup height?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    I thought about it, but I need new ones anyway, because they're cracked.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What’s cracked? The plastic covers?

5. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    Yep.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Sounds Perfect for punk.

Can’t call it (or yourself) punk if you’re going to get all choosey about cracks and rust. As long as it all works...

However, there’s no such thing as a real punk anymore, it’s all just posers, so buy new pickup covers, clean the bass up a bit and carry on.

jackn1202, ElGoodo and MTN.bass72 like this.
  7. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    I asked for suggestions about pickup models, not about what punk is and isn't :)
    I didn't even think that I can just buy pickup covers, I might look that up.
    But my initial question is still valid.

Kyuuga, Waltsdog, bolophonic and 9 others like this.
  8. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    May be there are videos, that explain the difference between different brands and models? What I saw so far wasn't very helpful.

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    theinfamous likes this.
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i hear a lot of people recommending Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for aggressive sounds (never tried 'em myself).

type it into Youtube and away you go.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It would be worth trying to balance out the level of the pickups so you can at least see how they should sound when properly set up. It’s an Aerodyne. I bet it’ll sound great and very aggressive.

12. ivrogne

ivrogne

Feb 14, 2013
    They look kinda odd. Thx for the video.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

If you really want new pickups for the bass and you're into punk rock, I would say Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, or the Steve Harris Seymour Duncan set, or something aggressive by DiMarzio would probably fit the bill.

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Definitely give a listen to any candidates before buying. Also consider how you are setting things knob-wise!

If you are running both pickups wide open you are naturally "scooping" mids out and that may be what your ears are looking for. Try playing with backing off one pickup or the other, or even rolling one of them down to 0. I bet if you took back the bridge pickup some or all of the way you'll get closer to what you are looking for.

Also be aware that what you hear practicing by yourself is NOT what you will hear when playing with a band! You might be surprised at what a good tone for your band sounds like by itself (you actually may not like it alone).

TinIndian likes this.
  15. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    A lot of people around here love EMG Geezer Butlers as well.

whero, TuneIn, ariwax and 5 others like this.
  16. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I have geezer butlers in a fender PJ and I like them a lot. I play alternative and use some clank and dirt they work pretty good for that.

TuneIn and kbakerde like this.
  17. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Well you can get a set of Dimarzio Model PJ for about 120 USD. If you want to replace the pickups I'd go with those.

Don't listen to opinions regarding punk and what equipment to use. You still want a good tone. Mike Watt mods the hell out of his basses (until Reverend made him a sig. model).

18. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Have you changed strings yet?

cheechi, Bodeanly and BobKos like this.
  19. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    I recommend the DiMarzio PJ model 126.
    The hex'headed pole pieces allow individual raising/lowering, so they are perfect for leveling volume between strings and also between pickups. PJ sets usually are problematic for the P overpowering the J, but the DiMarzio allow to compensate for this and also te refine string per string.
    On the plus side, they are among the cheapest replacement PJ sets, and they are also hot themselves, so perfect for punk.
    I wouldn't look any further, they cover all your needs.
    I put this on my bass and all my problems were gone. Never looked back.

TinIndian and DrThumpenstein like this.
  20. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Find a trim pot tonepump preamp in the FS section for ~$50.

Have the preamp installed/learn to solder, and either learn to setup your bass or have it setup.

Go for a pseudo Spector thing on the cheap.

Then go buy a B7k, power amp, and an obnoxious speaker cab with 10"s.