1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J pickups. How do I choose

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ForestThump, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    When selecting pickups for this style of configuration does one usually stick to the same manufacturer?
    If not, how does one make the most flexible, balanced choice of pups.
    They are for this kind of bass:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/spj343ts.html

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

You should play it first,there are many ,many sx owners who love the stock sound.I am one.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    single biggest issue for me is the balance betwen the P & the J pickup. Most J's are just lost, buried by the P ... a good set is not cheap - probably more than the cost of your bass - tonally it's worth it to me though.

4. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    I am definitely noticing that the P-bass pickup is overpowering the J-bass in the bridge position. I would love to have a more powerful or present J-bass pickup but without it getting overly trebly and "active" sounding.
    Any recommendations for a suitable J pickup here?

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Scrap the p-bass pickup and buy a balanced set or be prepared to start swapping J pickups until you find one you like - trust me - it will take a great deal more money taking the latter approach ... There is no reliable method for pickup matching other than trial and error... which is why purchasing a balanced set for a PJ is a really good idea...