Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p/j pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pulseczar, May 11, 2004.

1. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I have the old school ibanez sr400 w/o the preamps was wondering what pickups should i put in there? it's p/j config, which drastically reduces the availability of the kind. I wanted Bartolinis or Fralins in it, but it seems like i can't... unless there's a way of combining a single pbass pup and jbass pup together.

so basically, i'm asking if anybody knows if there's any good pickups in the market with p/j configuration or can i mix and match from single pups. also, i want to wire these into three pots.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Maybe I'm missing something here but as far as I can tell, you have no limitations on PJ pups. You probably have more of a chance of getting something weird going on if you had a preamp. You can put in eithier active's or passives - you'd just have to ad a battery clip for the actives. The SR 400 should already have a stereo jack in it.

I've stuck all kinds of PJ's in low end Ibe's: Barts, Duncans, Dimarzio's, EMGs, whatever. Usually have to take 1/16" off the J pup routing but other than thant, it's a drop in. Personally I'd try and stick with a matched pair to avoid impedence imbalance but the P's and J's sold as a set are also sold seperately by the maufacturer as a P and in J sets -nothing special about a PJ set per se' except you at least know the manufacturer believes they're compatible.

A good pickup to one person may suck to another and is pretty much a matter of preference. Lot of people don't like Barts, lot of people don't like EMG. I like 'em both. Ask around, read reviews, listen to some bass players and music you like and find out what they're using.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  4. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for your advice. Any advice on mixing and matching pups?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Like I said, and luknfur said, it's best to do it the matched set way as the outputs from each pup will be more in line with each other. A standalone P might be wound hotter than a P that's part of a P/J set, or they might the J hotter to match the P. Either way, you get my point.

I back off one of my previous comments, Bart don't market a matched P/J set.

But you're not going to break anything by mixing and matching, so if that's what you want to do then do it. I wouldn't recommend mixing active and passive pickups though!