1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-J Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Craig_S, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I assembled my Franken P/J bass yesterday. I just used pickups I had stored. The P pickup is from a Mexi P and the Jazz pickup is out of a 2000 Deluxe Jazz (4 large pole pieces). It sounds okay, but I'm sure it could be better. The output of the pickups isn't matched.

I'd like recommendations for my P-J project. They don't have to be a set and I would like a humbucking Jazz pickup.

2. I just installed two used P/J Nordstrands on my FrakenFender bass. I have had MIM pups in it for several years and I was content with them. I must admit that the Nordstrands made a very noticible and enjoyable difference and they only cost me $100 for both. Shop hard, shop wisely.
    Rocky

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The biggest issue I'm seeing, with what is in there now, is the output difference. The P pickup is louder when soloed. Is this common with P/J basses? The tone isn't bad at all.

4. justbill

justbill

Mar 30, 2007
    eastsidadeetroit