Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-J Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I'm currently playing a Soundgear with a Precision pickup in the neck position and a Jazz pickup in the bridge. I usually play with both pickups turned up or with just the Precision pickup turned up.

My question is: Does playing with the Precision pickup deliver the same sound as a Precicion bass or is there a difference?

2. Usually, yes, because where the pickup is placed usually has a signifigant impact on the tone. IIRC the p-pickup has to be moved closer to the neck so the j-pickup has room.

3. Take a look at your Ibanez then take a look at a P-Bass. I'm not sure about yours but a lot of Ibanez basses have the P pickup mounted "backwards" from the way Fender mounts the P pickup. That will surely make it sound different than a Fender P-Bass.

4. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Holy Crap!! You're right. I never noticed that before!!!:eek:

How would that change the tone of the bass though???

5. the E and A will be a little bit tighter and the D and G will be a little warmer and bassier.

6. The location of pickups is critical to the sound the bass produces. Changing the location of the pickups changes the sound. If the pickup is closer to the neck, it will sound "bassy" and closer to the bridge will make it more "trebley."