1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P(J?) possible build?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muddycreek, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    My 14 year old daughter needs her own bass. She's played upright for years, but pretty new to electric. She doesn't have much of a sound preference- matter of fact, I gave her some YouTube comparisons that I thought were pretty good representations of more common basses, and for her it was a tossup between a Thunderbird and a Rick. Weird.

At any rate, she wants it to be black, but not shiny. She also wants it to be fairly lightweight. No real neck profile opinions. The Ibanez sr300 'weathered black' is probably just about perfect, so clearly I need to find a riskier and more labor intensive solution.

I've got an old Yamaha BB3000 that got a terrible refret years ago, and would need at least a new board. Nothing on it is stock. So, I thought it might be fun to get a light body and cheap/decent neck, ebonize and probably oil finish them, and do a build with all the hardware off the BB.

What am I getting into with the cheaper options, like eBay or guitarfetish.com? GFS has an unfinished lightweight P body, and there are a ton of rosewood board Fender style necks out there. I could just use the P, or rout for the J as well. Opinions? Things I should watch out for? I'm pretty comfortable with woodworking and that level of electronics, and I'm assuming a setup and fret dress would be needed.