1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P/j preamp recomendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zackthompson, Aug 4, 2012.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I have a franken-pj project I'm working on and I want to put a nice sounding preamp in it. The pups are most likely gonna be either fender am std or emgs. Any thoughts on a good preamp? Mike pope? J retro? Audere? Im up for anything. Thanks!

2. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I havent used a Mike Pope...but I really dig my J-Retro in my Jazz(stock pickups)...The Audere is ok?

3. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Any other thoughts anybody?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I like my Sadowsky in my PJ. I've got an EMG pre in my Spector PJ that I like as well.

5. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    They're all good.

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I made a SVF for my fretted P/J. You can build one for cheap if you're daring and into DIY stuff. incredible sounding mids. total for all the parts was only around $12 including the pots

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Got a thread on this somewhere?

8. Go outboard, instead; less to go wrong on your instrument, you can power it with AC power, mitigating the need for battery-related hassles, and you can use it with multiple instruments.

9. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    So far, the $12 DIY preamp is sounding good to me haha. Like he said, is there a thread or youtube video for doing that?

10. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    And I'm pretty set on doing on board. 5 out of 8 of my basses have on board preamps, so getting an outboard would only be useful for the other 3. Thanks for your input though