Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Davis, Aug 24, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    On my Yammy the pickups are too high. I have about a 1-2mm clearence between the pickups and the strings. I recently lowered the actions because the strings were just a little too high for me. Is there anyway I can adjust the height of the pickups?

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Normally you would find one or more small screws on either side of the pickup (E side and G side) and loosening those screws should allow the pickups to drop a bit (too much and the pickups will fall off the screws).

I don't know which model of Yamaha you have or how they mount their pickups, but most basses use a variation on the same theme.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I may be misunderstanding what steinbergerxp2 is posting, but I don't think you want to loosen any screws.

A P/J pickup configuration should have 8 adjustment screws. One on each side of each split-P pickup section (for a total of 4 screws), and two on each side of the J pickup (which = 4 more screws).

To lower your pickups, you should turn the screws clockwise. This should tighten the screws into the body of your bass, and push the pickups deeper into the pickup cavities.

Also, I suggest making your adjustments in small degrees, and checking your sound through an amplifier until you get your desired adjustments.

I hope this helps.

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I did tighten the screws today(8 by the way, four for the J pickup). They were lowered, I should have thought of that sooner. *kicks himself*

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I made some errors in my original post, which I have now corrected.

I hope you have your pickups where you want them.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yup, I do. I can slap now!