Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CodyDEM, Oct 21, 2005.

1. CodyDEM

CodyDEM

Oct 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Ok - my essex P/J bass - I'm loving it.

Thing is, the J seems to be weaker than the P. I like to solo the J sometimes and I just don't get a sound "hot" enough.

Is it a bad idea to replace just the J pick up and leave the P pick up stock?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It seems legit. You should use a humbucker style for the J, such as a Basslines stack or a Di Marzio Ultra, to get more output and less hum. It will fit the P better.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you could also try raising your J pickup so it's closer to the strings to get a more balanced output.

4. CodyDEM

CodyDEM

Oct 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    if I raise in it anymore it gets in the way!

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, was just a suggestion.
    Maybe lower the P a bit? This might not solve your problem, but it might and it's a lot cheaper than changing pickups

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Balance in a PJ set is always an issue. The two best balanced set's I've found are the Lawrence P46 & J45 combination and the Aero type 1's. The Lawrences are amazingly quiet. The Aero's just do it for me tonally though. Very vintage 60's kind if sound that works for me in my setting.

I have the P46 installed in a P-Bass that I'm in the process of building up at the moment. My guitarist and I layed down some new tracks yesterday and I used that P. The sound is freaking huge.

I'm laying down a couople of more tracks today, then I'm yanking the P46 out and installing a Dark Star which arrived on Friday...

Anyway - my recommendation is that you search out a set rather than replacing just 1 pickup. Either of the set's I mentioned would be good places to start.

7. i've heard great things about the Lawrence P46...

his pups seem to be reasonably priced, as well...

the only comment I have about your post is that you say your are "yanking the P46 out and installing a Dark Star"...like they are one-for-one replacements...

just so everyone knows...routing IS required as the Dark star is a rectangular pickup (similar in shape to a gibson humbucker)...

are you planning on using a new cover plate so that you can swap pups back in the future if desired?

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Hi,

If you are thinking of changing pickups to solve your problem, I have Lindy Fralin P/J pickups in both my P/J's and IMO they have amazing tone and no balance problems. The "P" is his standard and the "J" is a split coil, you might want to check out his site.

George