Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P/J replacement set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by supermetroid, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Any recommendations for a good pair of pups to go into a 90's P-Bass Special? I'm seeking two tones in particular: a tone similar to that of a 70's Fender Jazz and one similar to McCartney's Rick tone; that is, deep but focused with a generous helping of warmth and a little bit of bite when digging in hard.

2. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I replaced my DiMarzio's with Basslines Hot P and Hot Jazz stack. the'yre not as loud as the quarterpounders but I like the tone alot. The P is real warm and the Jazz has got a nice bite too it without being too thin. They are dead quiet even when the jazz is soloed.

3. Which genres are you primarily playing?

4. Oooooh! You want EMG PJ's! They have a warm, solid bottom and a nice trebly punch on top They "break up" real nice when you punch it hard: A bit like a Ric, only maybe a bit more "brittle" sounding, an prolly not as deep a bass note. But they sound great IMO, and go to tape real nice (pardon my modifier)!

Dunno how to compare it toa trad Jazz, though....y' got me there.

5. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm doing mostly blues and have this set on a fretless with Dadario Chrome flats. Nice sounding with the flats, and even has enough zing when I dig in.