Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P+J replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by relman, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Ok...I need to replace my washburn's PJ pickups (That's the only bad thing about it). I need to get warm, vesatile pickups w/tons of bottom end. I wanted to get a stacked humbucker for the bridge...

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Bartolini 8S for the P-type and
    DiMarzio DP148 Ultra-Jazz or SD Hot or Classic Stack for the J (all H/B J's).

3. im thinkin about replacing the pups on my p+j as well. im thinkin dimarzio, but any other suggestions than what they said up there are good.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Ar' you implyin' mah suggestions ar' no good suh? Ah believe Ah've been insulted! :D
    Ah demands satisfaction! 100-watt irons at dawn, suh :p

Rel~ & JR ...Don't forget a new harness from Stew-mac while you're at it ;) (pots, caps, wire...).

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Not to insult notduane ;) , but some pickup manufacturers (Bartolini for one) will sell you matched sets in the P-J format so that the output from one is not radically different from the other.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dude, no problem. I just figured they were talkin' passive pup combos.
    Stew-mac sells a passive P/J set (#1148) of EMG "Select" types (H/B) for ~ $46

[​IMG]

I betcha' there is room in the control cavity for an active set-up...

[​IMG]

Talk about puttin' my big-@$$ foot in my mouth :rolleyes: . (I shouldn'ta made a joke at this time :( )
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=107240

[Edited by notduane on 01-23-2001 at 11:54 PM]

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If active pups are in consideration, I have a set of Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods P-J pups in my 4-string, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else :).

8. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, notduane (can I call you notd for short?) I was kind of going along with your joke. Anyway, I, too, was talking about passives. Bartolini offers several sets of P-J pups in passive. In fact, here's a link.

http://www.bartolini.net/shrtlst1.htm

You'll find them below the Jazz sets and P pups.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You can call me Ray and you can call me Jay...:rolleyes:
    (just don't call me late for a T/I string sale! :p)
    D'ohh! I'll be dawged...Ya' larn sumpin' new everah-day :D .
    I stands corrected suh! :oops:

P.S. luv your nick' dude! (F/W) :) . If I was goin' to change, it'd be somethin' like "TI-JF344" :p .

10. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I was Max Power, but it was too Simpsons - ish for me, so I switched to a more bass-oriented one. Also, of course, I really like flatwound strings. Used rounds for a couple of decades, but I have really found some good sounds with flats, which I've been using almost exclusively for about a year. Still haven't tried Pyramids, though.

11. "Stew-mac sells a passive P/J set (#1148) of EMG "Select" types (H/B) for ~ $46"

I've got this set in my Fender Precision Plus - a great "Newsted Metallica" growl with both pickups on, but unfortunately the jazz pickup in this set isn't humcancelling- it's single coil, and picks up quite a bit of hum, even with both pickups on full. the P pickup is completely buzz-free, and has a powerful bright, punchy tone, but might be difficult to match up with other makes of J pickup.

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 01-26-2001 at 09:38 PM]

12. I have the fretless model of your bass (washburn xb 200) and I had the same problem. With the original washburn pickups, the J pickup by the bridge had pretty weak output and almost no bottom end to it. I put in the EMG select P+J combo (you can find them on ebay sometimes I think) that I got for $45 and I was really happy with the change. The J bridge pickup had a lot more bottom end and I liked the overall sound of them a lot better. For the money, I don't think anything else could come close to this (I was more than happy with the difference it made).

13. diamondsplit

diamondsplit Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2012
    N.J
    I'am looking for active P/J pickups for my Kawai and I have soap bar bartolini on my Fender bird and they are mind blowing. i'am looking to use those or Seymour Duncan lightning rods or they Bartolini pickups