p/j series parallel wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by setheridge4, May 20, 2007.

1. setheridge4

setheridge4

Jul 4, 2006
    hi this is my first post. i've searched the forum and the internet for ages and i can't find an answer to my question anywhere so please could someone help.

is there any difference between wiring a jazz bass with a series/parallel, push/pull pot and wiring a p/j in the same way. are the neck jazz pickup and the p pickup wired the same or not? if they're not could someone please post a diagram because i cannot find one anywhere

2. there are two wires coming from the P pickup
    there are two wires coming from a typical, single-coil jazz pickup

you just wire it as you would a push-pull pot on a Jazz bass...

I've done it to my Yamaha RBX170 P/J...well worth the effort...IMO

3. setheridge4

setheridge4

Jul 4, 2006
    thanks for answering my question.

i did look at a number of websites but i just couldn't find one that answered that specific question

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    It depends on how the pups are wound. Generally they are either two or four wire. I've found most P pups to be two wire, but if you go back to the DiMarzio site and read about the DP122 (Model P), you will see it is a four lead config, allowing the insertion of a series/parallel switch

5. Paul_Atreides

Paul_Atreides

May 21, 2007
    Arrakis
    I'm new to this, what's the difference in tone between series and parallel PJs?

6. Thats a series/parallel switch for just that pickup tho. You can put any pickups in series or parallel with each other.

In series it sounds alot fuller, heavier and bassier

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I was just using that particular pup as an example of a four-wire P.

8. Ok, but it seemed a bit irrelivent as the OP was not asking about anything that would require a 4-wire P pickup.

9. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Now that I look back on it, you're right! Oh well...

10. For all it matters the Model P is awesome tho :p

11. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    On the last two P-Basses I've modded, I went with the DP127 (Spit P). Next time I'm gonna try the Model P.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021